Lady Python
Newly Registered

Chinese Pepper Tree Bonsai Dried Out Indoors

I treated myself to a very pretty Chinese Pepper Tree Bonsai a few weeks ago. It was doing really well, growing new leaves etc. when we got a cold snap and I put on the central heating again - completely forgetting about the poor tree. Sadly, it dried out and very quickly, despite my best efforts, many of the thinner branches and leaves dried out.

I was so annoyed with myself and so disappointed at what I'd inadvertently done to the tree, I could have wept.

Tonight I sat and gently removed all the dead leaves and little branches. The tree is still alive because there is still green in the branches where I trimmed off the dead bits. It looks like there could be some little buds forming on some of the branches so there's still life in it.

What can I do to help it to recover and if it does, how long would it take to start recovering?

Any advice you can give me would be very gratefully appreciated.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Te first inclination of most is to react with over caring. What I mean by that is that a lot of people start paying too much attention, watering too much and too often, over misting, over fertilizing. When a tree is in shock like this, it's better to let it make a slow recovery. After initial rehydration, it should be in a less strssful position (I.e. out of any direct sun) for a few days until it shows signs of recovery. Afer that, just pay attention to it as you normally would and just, well, wait.

Lady Python
Newly Registered

I've treated it exactly as I was before I gave it heat-stroke :oops:

The only things I've done have been to trim off the dead bits and I have put some slow release fertilizer in the soil. Other than that, apart from telling it how much I love it and how sorry I am for hurting it (!) I'm pretty much leaving it to recover which I really hope it will as it was a lovely little tree.

I have to confess, due to circumstances, my garden, especially my roses have been neglected for a couple of years (son on renal dialysis, plus work committments). I pruned them quite severely a bit late in the season and thought I'd killed some of them. I gave them some rose fertilizer in the hope that it would help them and it did, even the ones I thought were dead. They are looking healthier than they've done for a long time and are flowering now. I hope the same thing happens with my little Bonsai Tree.

Fingers crossed that it recovers.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”