Di
Newly Registered

How to Care for a Ficus Bonsai

I'm a new comer to the forum and have a question already.
I have a ficus bonsai tree in the typical square container that has grown since received in January of this year.
I have a garden window in my kitchen where it has been doing quite well, but the fine branches are growing, and I think it has even grown taller. Some of the bark is exposed and I was wondering first, how do I prune it, and second, when and how do I transplant it? I've been watering it once a week. I know it should dry somewhat between watering, but when it's hot out (my house is air conditioned) it dries out quicker sitting in the window.
Can you answer my questions so I don't kill my beautiful tree/plant? The bonsai was given to my son which must've come with some directions, but they're gone now.
Thanks, Di

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Patience on the pruning, really. No worries, you can cut back most Ficus pretty hard even after a year or two of growth. Since it's growing and doing well, I wouldn't suggest changing anything about your watering regimen. I would, however, suggest picking up a good introductory book. [url=https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Bonsai-Beginners-Selection-Training/dp/1844033503/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213961590&sr=8-1]This one[/url] is a truly excellent beginner's book, and you can't beat the price.

Di
Newly Registered

kdobbs, I appreciate your reply. I'll continue what I've been doing and will look into the suggested book... thnx

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”