Aurora
Newly Registered

Brush Cherry (Eugenia) Question

I have an indoor Brush Cherry (Eugenia) and I've only had it for a year. I've noticed a few things...

First, the leaves now have a very sticky residue, I assume this is from pruning maybe?? It was trimmed when I bought it as a topiary tree and I've kept the shape, but maybe I'm not pruning it properly. Any ideas?

Also, I just noticed along the twigs and trunk a few light brown oval spots that can be picked off. Is this scale?? And if it is, what should I do to get rid of it??

Thanks so much for any advice you have!
~Aurora

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It does sound like the tree is under attack, perhaps by aphids as well. I don't know about scale insects, but the dish detergent method is usually the first to try for aphids.

Aurora
Newly Registered

Would you mind explaining the dish detergent method... I'm new at dealing with pests! I don't want to kill my tree.

Thank you for your help!!!
~Aurora

alisios

I think it's putting a small amount of dish soap with water in a spray bottle and spraying this on the plant...

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Usually 1-3 drops of dish detergent in a quart spray bottle. There are also "plant safe" pesticides, but I've found that it's about a 50/50 shot whether or not your particular species will react well to them.

Aurora
Newly Registered

Thanks!

Thanks - I'll give it a try!
~Aurora

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”