Captain Morgan
Newly Registered

Elm Bonsai

Dear Helpful Gardener Staff and Community,

I was looking at an Elm Bonsai tree, and after reading up and realizing the devotion you need to take care of one, I had some things to think about. Long story short I've decided to take the time to start the new hobbie, and after reading I like the overall look, price, and compareably easy mantenence of the Chinese elms. I want to grow my Bonsai indoors but my room is dark, and does not get very much sunlight at all, only in the early mornings. It is ussualy cold, but only because of the air conditioner. New Jersey is temperate, reaching 90's in the summer and rarely going below 0 in the winter. (Farenhite) Would this hurt me Bonsai tree? If so, where should it be kept? (My kitchen sees the most sunlight, from sunrise to sunset.)

P.S. I don't have much money, so I'm purchasing a 6''

-Brendon

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds good, although I might recommend a Ficus as a better tree for beginners (no vernalization requirement and it's much less fussy about water). But if you are married to the elm it will work for your area (with good winter protection).

I do not keep ANY of my trees indoors during the spring and summer and even the tropicals stay out until the first frost. Less time indoors the better...

Here's a link to the bonsai pages here; read up and see if there's more info here you need...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/[/url]

Scott

Captain Morgan
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot, scott!

(Now.. how to keep that pesky cat from chewing my branches of... :lol:)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Best of luck there...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”