Kenshin14435

Collecting

Wassup everyone?
I just received my GPS and a couple days ago I went out with it.
I marked 6 trees in the memory for later collecting. Some of 'em were little, and some of them were a good three feet tall. One or Two of these six are deciduous. The rest are junipers and/or pines. I really don't remember off the top of my head. BUT, there are some downsides. It was in the high 80's and the humidity was crazy. I brought a water bottle and I was very thankful. Some things to say if you collect in a very hot and/or humid region. DO wear long socks with pants and boots. This helps ALOT with ticks, chiggers, and other unwanted vermin. The pants and socks ma not help with the heat but it will help in the long run, especially if you take an accidental fall on a steep slope. Also, DO take a backpack with plenty of water, and energy bars.(NOT chocolate for those of who are chocolate addicts) Maybe take along a 5 Hour energy drink or something. DO wear a breathable long-sleeve shirt. Preferably Underarmour or something like it. Try to avoid short sleeves.(When I was walking in the woods I must have gone through a bush INFESTED with ticks because I looked down and there were 7-12 of the little buggers on my arms.) If there are more than you can count on your body, this is a REALLY BAD thing. If there is a stream and/or area of running water I HIGHLY suggest you go submerge yourself in it as quickly as possible.(This same incident happened to a gentleman in my area. He was near a stream but decided to go straight to his car and drive home. He later found out that he received Lyme disease form a tick. DO wear a hat or bandanna to keep the sweat out of your eyes. DO NOT wear ANYTHING cotton unless you have to. The cotton will soak up ALL the your perspiration. DO NOT over pack. The last thing you want is to be carrying stuff will not use. But, DO carry a knife to help if your in need of it. I rely on a Fixed Benchmade knife. It was a great value and can be used to clear leaves and such from around the base of the tree. DO always carry a first aid kit. Whether it be a little one or a survival one. This can help for cuts you may receive. DO let someone know where you are going and at what time you should be back. The last thing you want is whacking your head on a rock and going into unconsciousness and not wake up with nobody to come rescue you.
This was all some advice that I had to offer. You can find Benchmade knives at [url]https://www.benchmade.com[/url] I use military grade knives. They are on the website called BLACKclass. I find these to work the best in the outdoors.
I hope you find this information useful. :mrgreen:

Ken

tarian

haha planning an expodtion :lol:
nice story .. I once wnet out collecting at 0c'
not a good idear ...hardley any tree in the snow :lol:

Kenshin14435

WOOOOOOWWWW
Your nuts!!!!
0 celcius!!!!
No duh no trees.
wow
(I should try it sometime) :mrgreen:
lol

Ken

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

You sure do know the proper way to hike.

WRT collecting, the point of going out and searching for trees to collect is to find a tree that you wouldn't otherwise be able to find anywhere else. It should have character and IMO a nice large trunk and good nebari. Leave the small ones to grow on and possibly collect in the future. I guess what I'm saying is, don't collect for the sake of collecting, the tree should be unique and worthwhile for the effort.

If you could, next time bring a camera so you can take pics of the trees you plan on collecting. Another thing, did you mark the tree phsically like with some string or a flag? Even though you marked it on your gps doesn't mean it will be easy to find on your second trip, the trees around it will grow and the scenery will change

Good luck with your future collecting.

Tom

Kenshin14435

Tom,
I know it might sound korny but I'm a BoyScout. The teach you how to hike the "proper" way. I might quite though. I've found another organization that better suites my future.
Anyway, thats a good point you brought up and I will start looking for trees that are unique t my area. Although you can't find much nowadays because back in the civil war, all of the trees in my area(5 square miles) were burned by some loon who thought it would be fun. Only a shy few "rare" trees are left. If so it would take a heck of a alot of searching. There are only 4-20 of these 'ol trees left. Anyway none that I have found very interesting. I think I would be better off going to a nursery to find rare trees. I really love japanese maples but obviously they are not native to my area. The only thing that I have spotted are various native maples and pines and oak and stuff like that. The problem is is that it all looks the same out in the woods.
Also, my school owns the 40 some acres of woods that are behind it. They said try not to mark anything with a flag or banner. They say it will make them look bad. But, when I'm a ways away form the building itself I really don't see the problem. Hardly anybody wanders off the trails back there. and if they do they're nuts(like me..... :mrgreen: )
Plus, nobody goes back there to check and see how "tidy" things are. I mean c'mon, it's the woods. But I still didnt mark anything physically....yet that is.

Ken

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ken,

You do not need to find anything that is 'rare' just interesting. And since the Civil War was fought nearly nearly 150 years have passed, surely that is long enough for some interesting trunks to have developed.

Trees that are native to your environment are often good candidates for bonsai. Are there Live Oaks, or Elms around? Also look around your neighborhood for people who are renewing their landscape. I have some promising material that was rescued in this fashion.

BTW, if your school does not want trees flagged are you permitted to remove any? This is the first thing to address as locating a nice tree that you do not have permission to collect will be an unnecessary temptation.

Norm

tarian

I never plan tree collecting it just happens like today I was walking back from my school after my exams which are nearly over thank god it was a different experience looking at trees and not getting anything
I'm usually happy to come home empty handed but my grandad and father who sometimes come along insist on taking anything :? its orkward if I don't take anything then
gps sounds drastic to me but its a good idear for marking them and stuff I just try to remember
:lol:
weve had this permission debate before :oops: but its ok to remove trees in my area if the ground is going to be demolished
check your laws

Kenshin14435

Norm,
Yes, they did say that I could take the trees just as long as I don't mark them physically. Weird tough 'cause there are already ALOT of flags, streamers,etc. out there. Must be electrical lines or somethin like that.

Ken

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”