swiggin74
Newly Registered

Tree of a thousand stars losing its leaves, help!

Hello,

I am new to the forum and hope that you can help. I have had my bonsai for about 3 years and for ages it was growing really well, producing lots of new shoots and leaves.

In the last few months leaves have been dropping off at a startling rate, and new leaves start to turn brown soon after beginning to appear. A couple of large branches are now completely bare. I have repotted it in the last couple of weeks, hoping that this would help, as it has not been repotted since I bought it. (Maybe I shouldn't have done??) It has not worsened since repotting.

I am wondering whether there is anything that I can do to help it recover.

Any tips would be gratefully received, I am by no means very experienced in bonsai.

Many Thanks
Samantha Wiggin.

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Welcome Samantha,

In order to help you a little more information is needed, such as where you keep it, your watering habbits, what kind of soil its in. The repot may not have been a bad idea because the problem could have been root rot and if you put it in better soil that could help the situation. Any chance you could post a picture?

I have to say I have had no luck with this species and have stopped trying a long time ago. They can be very finicky.

Here is some basic info on Serissa that could help. https://bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Serissa.html

Tom

swiggin74
Newly Registered

Hello Tom.

Thanks for your reply.

I keep the tree on my kitchen windowsill and I only water it when the soil is dry below the surface. I've repotted it in a soil especially for bonsai, but I'm afraid I don't know more detail. (It was in a bag at the garden centre labelled for bonsai!)

I will try to work out how to post a picture for you to see.

If this tree doesn't survive do you have any suggestions for an alternative species that is suited to indoor and is not too difficult for a novice to keep?

Thanks
Sam.

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Ok, the soil I am guessing is very gritty and drains well am I correct? If so this was a good move. The problem I see is that it seems you have always kept this tree inside am I correct? Any tree needs to be outside, that is where they like it back. The only time your tree should be brought inside is during the winter when it is too cold for it to survive. This is why it is called an indoor tree because it cannot be left outside all year long. I would suggest you find a chinese elm. They are very easy to grow and can tolerate being left outside all year if protected in the winter from the weather.

For your tree right now, theres not much you can do. I am not sure about your location but if it is spring or summer there, you need to put it outside it will grow much better there. A window doesn't provide as much light as you may think. Also just keep it watered using your technique which is good. Some people tend to water on a schedules and not when the soil dries out like you do so keep that up. Most of all just hope and pray.

I suggest you check out your local nursery for some material. You can normally find a good tree to practice your skills on. Check out the gallery there are plenty of examples there.

Still try for that pic so the quality of your soil can be confirmed. This link may help with that. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557

Tom

swiggin74
Newly Registered

Hi,

Here are some pictures of my tree. (Hope they work!)

[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm129/swiggin74/SNV30873.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm129/swiggin74/SNV30873.jpg[/img]

The tree is indeed kept indoors all of the time. I live in the UK and the weather is getting warmer, no frosts for a few weeks now, so I'll put it outside tomorrow!

I will begin to look into another species though.

Sam.

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Thanks for the pics. It is hard to see the soil though. Can you describe it or post a pic with some in your hand? Is the soil loose and gritty or is it more like potting soil and very organic?

Did you just water the tree because the soil looks very wet at the moment?

Tom

swiggin74
Newly Registered

Hi Tom,

I watered the tree a few days ago and yes it still feels very damp.

[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm129/swiggin74/SNV30875.jpg[/img]

despite it being for bonsai trees I don't think this soil seems particularly gritty.

Sam.

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Thanks for the pic. It does seem to be too much on the organic side. It is best not to change the soil again though and once it is outside it should be ok just watch it carefully so it does not stay wet all the time. This could have been your problem. Stick a toothpick in the soil and pull it out from time to time. If the stick is still damp don't water but if its dry obviously water it :D . In the mean time do some research regarding soil so next year you can change it for the better. I believe www.bonsai4me.com has good info on soil.

I wish you could luck.

Tom

SG6

Hi, Just saw this and thought I would throw in my experience. Tried 2 Serissa's and had no great success. Although fairly widely sold I think they are more difficult to keep then thought.

Bits I have read say they should me kept moist, others say they should be allowed to dry out. The need ventilation and drafts are terriable for them. I think that growing them is a bit of a difficult path.

For an indoor bonsai I was going to say how about a pomegranet, but a book describes it as outdoor. Seems a bit strange. :shock:

I tend to grow mine in fairly large pots. My reason being bonsai's seem to average 18-24 inches in height, not 6-8 as they tend to be sold in garden centres. While I am growing them I find a pot of some size is beneficial and they can go into shallower bonsai trays if I want to show them.

If yours worsens then try a larger pot, standard compost and water carefully. Lets face it the first thing to do is keep it alive.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”