klr368
Newly Registered

My Bonsai Might Be Dead

I bought two umbrella Bonsai from a grocery store and it seemed to be doing well until the first one started to die. I didn't want it to happen to the other one so I took off all the glued on rocks and it seemed to be doing alright for a while. Recently it stopped growing new leaves and the ones on it already become spotty and started to die. I replanted it in a new soil and watered it then left it outside to get some sun. It started to get worse and the leaves stated drooping and the branches are shriveling up. I took it inside and misted it, is there anything else I can do to save it?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Are you talking about Schefflera?

klr368
Newly Registered

Yes I am and I also live in Suffern! Are there any good Nursery's to go to around here?
Last edited by klr368 on Wed May 28, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kenshin14435

NO offense but what are yall talkin bout? Schalffa-wha???
Anyway, nine times outta ten if he says hes form suffern then, well, he's probably from there. I used to live in NY but thats when I was 5-8(I'm 14)
Anyway, It's impossible to tell what kind of tree it is until you find out and/or post a picture for us. Personally I would just let it die and go to a bonsai nursery and buy one that will not die. Most of the time, bonsai with glued on rocks aren't that good for growing. But thats just me. Post a pix of it. Also, scratch a very thin layer off the trunk of the tree to see if it has green on it. If it does then you still have a chance, but if it's not well, start diggin' that bonsai grave. Sorry man(or woman), but the kind of tree you bought(and from a grocery store)aren't that good of quality. Thats if they have any quality to start with. Just stick with kdodds on this 'cause he lives in your area. Maybe you 2 should meet-up or somethin. Thats just a thought. But, keep this in mind. Our post are to give you advice on how to take care of your tree, not to put you down.
Good Luck!

K5

klr368
Newly Registered

I said it was an umbrella Bonsai and I didn't have time to post a picture. Ill post one later when I have some time. It's still alive just not looking well. Thanks for the advice.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

What type of soil did you use in the repotting? If not a bonsai soil, you may be watering too often. Schefflera in normal potting soil probably will not need to be watered more than once per week. In bonsai soil, probably 2-3 times per week. Misting is a good idea, keeping the ambient moisture up. Unfortunately, with the way it was sold, it IS possible that root rot or some other form of disease has already set in and may claim the plant completely.

There are quite a few nurseries really close, but none that I've found that cater to indoor bonsai enthusiasts. So, I buy most of my starter plants, and all of my supplies, online. For Schefflera, you'll probably be better off starting with a pot plant anyway, avoiding the mass produced "mallsai" available in WalMart, A&P, etc. For that, Metropolitan Plant Exchange on 17N, near about Paramus, usually has a good selection of indoor pot plants. Their bonsai, though, are the same mass-produced stuff you'll see at the mall kiosks in Palisades. Secor is close (intersection of Airmont and Airmount), and sometimes has indoor pot plants, but not really any selection to speak of. Strangely enough, for indoor pot plants, Home Depot (Rt 17 or up on 59) has a fairly decent selection, usually. Matterhorn is probably the best nursery in the area, with the largest selection and most varied stock. It's actually a real pleasure to go there. It's spacious and everything is divided up in large sections, it's more like going to a botanical garden than your conventional nursery. Unfortunately, their prices can tend to be very high, depending on what you're buying, so you should know what you should be paying before buying. They do have a bonsai section, but fair warning, it's proudly touted as "outdoor only". The people I spoke to there about indoor bonsai immediately guided me towards a houseplants section and condesceningly pointed to "pretty" glazed house plant pots as something I should consider for my "plants". I don't know if they all have that attitude, but the two people I spoke to did, and it wasn't a very pleasant experience. They also showed me "a couple of indoor bonsai that our expert has designed, that are not for sale" and I could instantly see why indoor bonsai might not be on the top of their list as these "bonsai" looked more like very old, thinned out pot plants than anything that could really be called a bonsai style plant. I did not check on their outdoor "bonsai section" proper because, once I was done being patronized and condescended to, I honestly couldn't stomach being there any longer.

Kenshin14435

What is Bonsai soil exactly. I've been tryin to figure tht out. I just use some miracle gro. Is there a certain brand or somethin?

seanchai

Kenshin14435 wrote:What is Bonsai soil exactly. I've been tryin to figure tht out. I just use some miracle gro. Is there a certain brand or somethin?
Kenshin:

Bonsai soil is pretty exhaustively covered in ynot's extremely helpful post right at the top of this forum. It's right [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422&sid=7ebd9e2b94ac652ed318fc751eebcd34]here[/url]. Bonsai soil is the very first topic. In short, miracle gro is generally not a good idea, and no, there's no "certain brand," although many places sell their own soil mixes (especially bonsai nurseries and places that sell bonsai online). Generally though, you can make your own much cheaper. You just need to gain a good understanding of the right soil components for your region. I have been told (and am learning myself) that finding the best soil for your own personal needs is very much a process of experimentation. I live in the southeast US and am having good luck with a mix of pine bark and turface MVP (which has larger granules than regular turface) for my conifers, but I may try adding some lava rock when I repot next year.

Everything I've heard from anyone who's had any experience at all growing bonsai indicates that bonsai soil should be a) well draining, b) best suited for your personal region, and c) MUST be sifted to remove fines (that is, fine particles within the "soil" that will grow muddy over time and inhibit the drawing of new oxygen into the soil as well as promote root rot.)

I haven't been doing this very long at all, but to my mind, Miracle-Gro has *far* too many fines for bonsai. I'm a firm believer in "work with what you have", and (I think) the time for repotting has passed for our general region, so I wouldn't panic and repot everything - I would guess they'll all be fine till next spring, and you don't want to shock your trees by repotting them too often. I would be planning ahead for next year though, and learning all you can about bonsai soil in the meantime so that you can save up (if necessary) for a more appropriate medium come spring.

The latter is just my gut feeling, though. I would certainly defer to norm, ynot, kdodds etc on this matter if they feel differently than I do re: when to repot in your situation.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

seanchai,

That is a very well worded overview, thanks. I agree about not re-potting now for many species, most notably broadleaved deciduous trees. One of Kens trees is a Juniper though and considering his location and the late spring it is possible that re-potting now would have been OK. But he has already re-potted this tree twice this year so I feel it is out of the question now.

Some very experienced growers are also coming to realize that Mugo Pines are best re-potted in mid-summer. I purchased two a few weeks ago and intend to re-pot later this summer. Ficus is another species that is often re-potted during the summer.

Norm

seanchai

Gnome wrote:Some very experienced growers are also coming to realize that Mugo Pines are best re-potted in mid-summer. I purchased two a few weeks ago and intend to re-pot later this summer. Ficus is another species that is often re-potted during the summer.
Thanks, Norm, I'll file that away for future reference. I'm mostly a lurker, but I profoundly appreciate all the time, effort and information you and so many others put into this forum - it's incredibly helpful.

I've even picked up tips from you guys that have been helpful for my mother and her pervasive flower-gardening habit. ;) So thanks from both of us... even though we're both going to run out of porch/lawn space at this rate of success!

Kenshin14435

Yeah, I do think that re-potting 2 times was one too many. :roll:
But right my juniper is getting better.
Although go to the topic "WHEN SQUIRLES ATTACK!", to read more about my new problem.

K5

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”