dexter real
Newly Registered

NEW TO BONSAI NEED HELP-(with Juniper)

HI IVE HAD MY BONSAI FOR 2 MONTHS AND IT SEEMS TO BE TURNING BROWN . I don't KNOW WHAT TO DO,I'm NEW TO THIS. I LIVE IN THE DESERT SO IT GETS REALLY HOT AND I KEEP MY JUNIPER INDOORS IS THAT THE REASON ITS ABOUT TO DIE. CAN I EVEN PUT IT OUTSIDE IN 103DEGREE HEAT?I WATER IT EVERY OTHER DAY OR WHEN THE SOIL GETS A LIL DRY.CAN ANY ONE HELP ME SAVE MY TREE?PLEASE

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

dexter real,

Junipers are a poor choice for indoor culture, this is due largely to poor lighting and low humidity. If the humidity in my home is low imagine how low it is in yours. Browning and needle drop is an indicator that the tree is declining. Once Junipers get to this condition the hopes for recovery is low.

Making matters worse, the commonly available Juniper Bonsai are often potted in poor quality soil sometimes even with pebbles glued in place. These trees have a low percentage of survival because they were not handled properly before purchase and are generally purchased by beginners who are unsure of their requirements. I have even seen these trees referred to as disposable bonsai.

My usual advice is to get the tree outside but in your area that might not be much of a help for a weak tree. Can you find a sheltered location outside that is not fully exposed? You can try misting the tree, it would need to be done often but at least you would be taking some action.

Beware of over-watering Junipers as they can suffer from root rot if kept consistently wet. By this I do not mean to water sparingly but to water copiously but do not repeat until necessary.

Your soil, watering practices and indoor location could all play a part in the condition of the tree.

Norm

killyspike

By living in the desert suggests to me that its not only hot where you live but dry too. With that I'm referring to the air. Living in this country it is unwise to keep bonsai trees indoors permanently cause of the dry conditions in the air in a room in a house. So people are advised to give bonsai's time outdoors where it can take in the natural humidity at the very least. Where you live I'm guessing that there isn't hardly as much of the natural humidity if at all most days that trees need to survive so this needs to be done artificially. I suggest like Gnome says misting for one and also making sure theres a nice sizable humidity tray it can sit on with water and pebbles etc. With that heat it won't take that long for the water to evaporate and give out plenty of moisture. Perhaps steps can be done to shelter it from the burning heat once placed outside.

alisios

Dexter - your Juniper will be fine outdoors in this temp - you could also protect them a bit when it gets too hot by giving them some shade, perhaps under a tree (:)) - but don't place them next to the house where heat can reflect off the building...

It gets hot out here too and Junipers only seem to love it - quite frankly - just don't let them dry out - I also mist whenever I get the chance - sometimes it 3,4,5 times a day...

Gnome has a lot of good suggestions. Your tree might not make it now, but be rest assured your tree can take the heat.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”