NitaM39

Question about Grewia Caffra Bonsai Care in Florida

slx2007 wrote:Great information for Bonsai soil.

Here is my 2 cents: What bonsai mix is depends on your watering habit, the micro-environment of your own backyard and what zone you are in. Do you agree?
I.e., what zone I'm in is a problem. In the winter I'm in zone 9 (central Florida) and in the summer I'm in zone 5 (northern Illinois). Right now all I have is a Grerwia Caffra (which the seller told me I should be able to grow outdoors in Florida (not counting the few nights it gets down into the low 30s and high 20s). Is often very humid in IL in the summer - so, water less? and often is quite dry in FL in the winter - so, water more?

And do I have to change the mixture of the "soil" depending on what zone I'm in?

NitaM39

Sorry, I spelled Grerwia wrong - It should be Grewia Caffra. That's what I get for not previewing my post! Sorry.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

To an extent I agree. A mix should never be modified to the point that it's not fast draining or to the point where air/water/soil is not fairly balanced. I'm growing Grewia in NY indoors and using a mix that's about 3/8 pumice, 4/8 bark and 1/8 compost.

NitaM39

kdodds wrote:To an extent I agree. I'm growing Grewia in NY indoors and using a mix that's about 3/8 pumice, 4/8 bark and 1/8 compost.
Pumice? where do you get pumice? I seem to remember when I was into bonsai many moons ago I went to the local feed store and bought some chicken grit (very small granite chips) and mixed it with whatever other things recommended by the members of my then bonsai club. At the time, I don't remember using any bark at all - but I guess things have changed. I've been doing some reading in the files and numerous web sites that a lot of people now use kitty litter. For me that would be an easy solution. Living in a motor home 6 months of the year has it's limitations on being able to handle 40 and 50 lb bags of various and sundry planting materials. Do you have any suggestions for a good brand of kitty litter (or oil absorbent stuff) to get?

I plan on writing to the seller of my little Grewia to ask him what "soil" he uses. Will be interesting if he tells me or if he just offers to sell me some. Whatever it is, it seems to drain quite well.

It hasn't dropped any leaves since I first wrote and talked about that in the first week or so that I had it. Seems to have acclimated to it's unusual life style - outside in FL for not quite a month, then sitting in our RV bathtub for the ride to Illinois, now outside again in VERY chilly (40 degrees) Illinois (but sitting under the RV to somewhat protect it). And within the next few days, it is going for a ride to Michigan and will be there about a month, then on another trip to Wyoming (in the RV in mid June) and finally back to Illinois some time in July where it will be probably hotter than the devil and humid to boot. Pray for my poor little Grewia. LOL

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”