Kenshin14435

Roots coming out of pot???

ello again folks
ummmm.....yeah
I was recently looking at my bonsai and I noticed that some of the roots are starting to come out of the top of the pot.
They are mostly really flimsy but I did find a good sized woody one.
some of these roots(I think they're roots) have new growth on them.
(although I think I should check for any other invading(unwanted)plants)
>.>
<.<
>.>
I started to freak out but I decided to come here for advice before I take the plant out of the pot.
any advice?
thnx

K5

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

K5,

Can you refresh my memory, what species are we referring to here? A picture would certainly help us to make appropriate suggestions.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

You realy usually won't see root growth that strong in an invading plant without also seeing that plant above the soil's surface. That's not to say that it can't be the case. If it is a newly acquired tree, some unscrupulous dealer could have just cut back to beneath the soil's surface another plant sharing the pot. My guess, though, is that the plant hasn't been repotted in a while and could probably do with a repotting.

If you want to check, use a butter knife or similar tool to loosen the soil from the edge of the pot. Let the soil get more towards the dry side before doing this, but not so completely dry that you'd risk the tree's health. Once you've got that done, you should be able to tip the pot and draw the tree right out, leaving the soil/root ball somewhat intact and more easily replaceable. Have replacement soil ready and be prepared to do a root pruning, if necessary.

Kenshin14435

sry bout that norm
my tree is a japanese spruce.
oh and, well.....bout the pictures
I WAS going to post some pix soon BUT my freind owes me a couple hundred dollars because(here it comes) he threw my previous very good digital camera in the creek.
its value was close to $600.
so yeah, he still needs to pay me back.
oh and knodds
thnx very much for info
I'm getting ready to go in and look for more roots and/or new plants
:wink:

K5

Kenshin14435

OK Norm
I got a new camera so here ya go.
Go to the bonsai forum topic "pix of my bonsai"
the pix should be there