suef
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai Losing Foilage - Has White Things on it

Hi, I am new to Bonsai. Although I have really enjoyed looking at them for years I was given a Juniper for Christmas. I have it out side in full sun as recomended. It has been slowly loosing its green lush foilage. It has now got tiny white things on it. Maybe scale or somethong, I don't know can any one help please.
Sue. :( :lol:

killyspike

I'm new to bonsai too but may I suggest you post a picture of it so someone can identify what could possibly be wrong?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

suef,

Posting a picture is always a good idea and if yo could please provide some more information. The type of medium it is potted in, how was it located as far as sun, and has it been left in that location or moved frequently? Have you fed the tree at all? Can you describe your watering practices and does the soil drain freely as it should?

Just to make sure, Christmas is summer for you and you are now heading into winter, correct?

As far as the pest goes, check Google to confirm your ID.
[url]https://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=juniper+scale&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2[/url]

Norm

suef
Newly Registered

:D :D I have fantastic news. My Juniper has pulled through. It has white eggs of some kind all over it. It was sick and I thought I would lose it. Well I was given the advise of brushing it all over with a soft toothbrush. so I put a cloth over the soil and brushed and brushed till I felt that all the white bits had gone. And well now some of the branches loodk dead but new growth has stated to return. It still is not 100% but there is so much hope now. I have it put side in full sun. I only water it when I look at the soil by sticking a chop stick into the soil to see if it needs water. Also when its dry and you pick it up and it is light as a feather you know it needs a drink. Then after I water it and pick up the pot it is heavy.
I hope this all makes sence. But I am so happy with it now. I hope that this can help someone else maybe.
Sue. :D :) [color=olive][/color]

alisios

Glad to see your tree is making a recovery. You still might look into an insecticide while the little buggers are low in numbers...

..and good for you in noting the weight of the tree can be a determining factor as to when to water!

suef
Newly Registered

What insect stuff do you recomend? Thanks for the quick reply.
Sue.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Sue,

Before you take any further action I thought I would point out something that you may not be aware of. Junipers do make berries and, lacking a picture, I can't help but wonder if you have mistaken such for insect activity. If you Google 'Juniper berries' you will get more images to compare against.
[img]https://www.aromasunlimited.com/images/southwest/incienso/fragrances/juniper/UtahJuniperBerry2JPG.jpg[/img]

It is also possible that they were new buds that were forming.
[img]https://imfc.cfl.scf.rncan.gc.ca/images/arbreshotes/coniferes/genevrier03_g.jpg[/img]

This one is Juniper Scale, definitely something to take care of.
[img]https://woodypests.cas.psu.edu/Insects/JuniperScale/JuniperScaleAdults.jpg[/img]

Norm

suef
Newly Registered

Thanks Norm
The things that my tree had on it were very much like the scale in the 3rd picture. I can not see any of them there now. But will get some stuff to spray them. It is making progress thats for sure.
Thanks Sue. :D [/quote]

Kenshin14435

I have personaly never had this problem but I would go with what Norm says.(Even if ya don't like it)
Those white scales in the 3rd picture look really bad.
But don't look to me for advice on Junipers.(Mine is browning right now and I have'nt any idea why.(Something to consider for a new topic) :roll:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”