GreenBlueMan108
Newly Registered

New England Pre-Bonsai In Ground Pruning and Prep

Hello,

Nearby are miles of Maine Woods carved by ATV and Snowmobile trails.

Many trees are cut knee deep or lower, by the sides of the trails, and off into hard logging "trails."

There are a handful of gorgeous Birch, Beech, Oak, and Maple, Pre-Bonsai with beautiful, interesting, an wide bases.

I Believe that one heavy trim would put them on the way to being show stoppers,

Then, with years of lighter trimming, shaping, and pruning -

and, I imagine, years of cutting out and trimming the roots, while remaining in the space they are currently in the forrest for 2-6 years.

I imagine relocating them to my yard, in the ground, or in a pot in the ground (?) after years of training and shaping in the forrest.

The majority are Beech and Birch,

I believe.

They are already stunning.

I would appreciate any advice at all, thank you so much.

imafan26
Mod

Yamadori are trees collected from the wild that have the age and the character and are relatively small. It should be collected legally. Some places do not allow wild trees to be collected. If you can find a nice tree and successfully grow it, it can certainly become your masterpiece.

Another good source of good bonsai material is the nursery. They may not be very old but they are not seedlings either.

You do want to look for material that has an interesting form, but looks proportional as well. Bonsai starters should be long lived, have flexible branches, small leaves are better than big leaves, and does not have tap roots. Junipers and jade are the easiest bonsai for beginners. Geometry trees should be too, but I have killed enough to know that there is more to keeping a bonsai successfully than just having a tree that has a nice natural shape.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”