BonsaiTime
Newly Registered

Possible to Make an Avocado Tree Bonsai?

Hi, I'm new here and I'm interested! I'm just wondering if people still post here? I was thinking of creating an avocado bonsai but all the other forums say it isn't possible, or that the leaves are too big etc. I'm currently sprouting some more avocadoes for this.

imafan26
Mod

There are dwarf avocados. They still are hard to treat as a bonsai. Trying to bonsai a standard avocado would be very hard, but if you want to give it a try go for it. Most bonsai choices have long lives, flexible stems, a root system that tolerates being trimmed and pot bound, and have small leaves.

Bonsai is an art form that tries to honor nature in miniature form. The appearance of age, actual age , and unique features that you would see in the natural world where a tree weathers the storms of life ( fighting the wind, clinging to a precipice, overcoming obstacles (twists and turns), surviving calamities (lightning strikes), and becoming more beautiful with age.)) It shows the tenacity and perseverance to survive. Bonsai should be proportionate and the leaves are not as important as the branch structure. It is why most bonsai are pruned to showcase the bark and branch structure and leaves are deliberately kept small. Smaller leaved trees look more proportionate like a miniature of the natural world. That being said, I have seen a really nice magnolia bonsai. It was leafless and in full bloom. The blossoms were huge and lovely.

Techniques such as braiding and geometric shaping are more like topiary which is another type of art form that is more formal in design, and has its own beauty, but does not necessarily try to look "natural".

https://about-bonsai.blogspot.com/2018/ ... plant.html

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”