BEEMERW

I have 2 maples, but I have 1 Crape myrtle, 2 Kirijuse (san Jose) Heavenly Bamboo) then 1 I planted from a seed as a regular heavenly Bamboo, , 1 Umpqua princess Heavenly Bamboo, 1 Blue Wisteria That is an American- Blue fuctucean Amythesth Falls, 1 Chinese Wisteria,. Then inside for the winter I have my fukien tea and 1 gardenia that has now been the survivor. So yes, my trees. Just need to know for the winter, to taper watering, I am not sure how little you truly taper down. my maples loved the once a week soak. absolutely bubbled because there is so much ridiculous new growth now. new buds and leaves have popped out. but in the past, and I mean a long time ago, I did not get dormancy, and there is not a lot of info on specifics of how much to give instead of generically, just taper and give a little to each, but no soak or nothing. I am at a loss.

alexinoklahoma

Your 'soakings' had nothing to do with growth. It was just having moisture available - proper watering would have given even more growth ;-)

Only water when soil is dry at ~1/2 to an inch deep. And water from above - not as a 'soak'. Trees are stupid and do not care about soaks; just give them water from above and all is happy with them. Do not worry about tapering off water...as plant goes dormant and temps drop, less water is used so less is given. You do not make a tree go dormant by withholding water ;-) And once all leaves have fallen off a dormant tree, no water is used by tree at all until it awakens in Spring...

Again, do not water on a schedule - only give water when soil needs it. Dormancy happens as temps drop and days shorten. Period. :-)

Go read all the stickies and the articles at www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm in order to get the basics of 'bonsai care' better understood. It seems that you are getting annual/perennial care mixed in with tree-in-a-pot care. Different items needing different approaches and materials, including watering 'schedules' ;-)

Filled the camera yet?

HTH,
Alex

BEEMERW

I am waiting for my new plants this week. I have some boomers coming. They will be here probably within 2 weeks, then the camera will be done. Each of my trees will be under each of "my" categories. This info is awesome. thank you soooooo much. you are a lifesaver. I do not want to harm my plants in any way. so this is great.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”