BEEMERW

MY RED MAPLE

When i told Springhill nursery about the black bugs, they said theywill send a new one. I just got a confirmation. the one i have has the green coming out, but i see new, I guess leaf bud. The will form the long stick parts, or just leafs?

Also...The new maple, so i do not make a mistake this time, should I take off the leaves, or is it time to repot this time of year? they send a very leafy bonsai. it is in a very small pot. Last time, i did both. Now It will be 5 years old again.Leaves only get cut, but i understand if I prune, i do not repot. The roote were so squshed in that small pot it needed the space to be repotted, so which is better, repot, or prune?
BARBARA MARTIN

Gnome
Mod

Barbara,

Are you able to post pictures? If I understand correctly you currently have one Maple and are awaiting arrival of the second. Is that correct?
The will form the long stick parts, or just leafs?
The new shoots will elongate and later this season will turn woody or lignify.
so which is better, repot, or prune?
It may be a moot point as the season for re-potting Maples is nearing the end for this year. Again, pictures will be helpful once it arrives.

It is not really a good idea to rush things. Young trees take many years before they can be transformed into realistic bonsai. It will not happen in one season. There is no harm in allowing a new tree a period of growth especially for a beginner. Learn how to take care of them first, all else can come later. What do they say about doctors? Above all do no harm.

Norm

BEEMERW

I unfortunately have to wait for my husband to do a download of the digital camera to get the pictures off. I have all of the pictures. Here is my problem. The first maple is a dark red with the green on it and the second has the vibrant red. i think i may have fertilized the first too much or keep it too wet because even on the soil, the white pieces have green coloration on them. it is outsied. So the first has time released fertilizer, the second does not.

Again, as soon as my husband downloads, or i am able to drive down to get to download the camera, the pictures will be posted.
BARBARA MARTIN

BEEMERW

[url=https://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0012bj0.jpg][img]https://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7598/scan0012bj0.th.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0010px1.jpg][img]https://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1039/scan0010px1.th.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0012bj0.jpg][img]https://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7598/scan0012bj0.th.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0010px1.jpg][img]https://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1039/scan0010px1.th.jpg[/img][/url]

ok, the round pot are the new maple. the rectangle are the old. the old ones leaves turned green and shrunk, so I pruned them off. the stems were fine and new leaves are fine. maybe too much fertilizer. the new ones leaves were bowning spots that were old, like they never actually fell off to die off. new leaves are coming in. i did not prune anything else on the new nor did I repot, so i took off these leaves so new ones could keep growing in.
BARBARA MARTIN

BEEMERW

Since the pictures I have baby leaves filling in both plants. I pluck the old big leaves and new smaller leaves have been budding within a week. when should I stop plucking?
BARBARA MARTIN

Gnome
Mod

Barb,

I think I would take it easy on the trees for the balance of the year. Don't forget that it is the foliage that provides the tree with its nourishment. These are still very young trees and they need to grow out quite a bit.

Norm

BEEMERW

I am not planning on touching them. i want growth. I have solid fertilizer that is supposed to be time released for every 3 months for a total of 6 (half a bag when repotted then half at 3 month mark.). I am at that point with the first. However the second one is doing better than the first with a liquid fertilizer every month compared to the solid time released. it is strange.
BARBARA MARTIN

BEEMERW

Well my maples are really getting nice and leafy. My 2nd Maple i did not cut the stems, so the leaves grew right back and it is full and now turning green. The first one is starting to grow more leaves at the top and bottom and the middle is slowly getting it's stems back, I know time. but it is also turning green. the first one was even having a hard time turning brown a little, but Now she is fine.

I am not sure what happened, but it is better now. So all is well.
BARBARA MARTIN

BEEMERW

I just wanted to say how excited I am to see the Maples turning green along with the maples outside. My first one is really filling in. both maples have some small, some big leaves, but I know that winter/ leaves fall, just leaves, then you prune ane spring time watch growth and repot for late spring early summer. No repotting now, but hopefully this spring my small leaves will come in more. Ithank everybody for all the advice to getme as far as I am. Thank you :D
BARBARA MARTIN

Gnome
Mod

Barb,

I just checked your threads and it sounds like everything is going good for you now. Just keep doing what you have been, no big changes this time of year.

Norm

BEEMERW

One of my red maples has gotten very tall, but i think it is at the peak. My question is do i cut it down in size because it is like 2 feet at highest with big leaves still. Basically, i want the small leaves and that bonsai look. but i have those big leaves still. So what can I do?
BARBARA MARTIN

alisios

How thick is the trunk?

BEEMERW

actually, it is not the trunk that grew so tall, but the leaf stem with new leaves about almost 1 foot. I really looked. So i cut that to the stem where the actual trunk is. The trunk is about 8 inches high and i did not want to take away from the root. This just shot up with growth so quick, but not trunk, like I thought. So I thought i would try to see if i can grow root on what i cut because it is so long. barb
BARBARA MARTIN

BEEMERW

Just took a picture and need to fill up the camera, but my bonsai's have new red leaves and all new buds coming out and it is Fall. The weather has been going to the 80's for a chunk of time and when it dips, will I be in trouble with these Maples? I have begun doing a 1 X a week soak compared to a daily watering now to begin preparing them for the cold now. how does the lessening of water happen, i mean how much should i give in the winter?
BARBARA MARTIN

alexinoklahoma

BEEMERW wrote:Just took a picture and need to fill up the camera, //...snip// I have begun doing a 1 X a week soak compared to a daily watering now to begin preparing them for the cold now. how does the lessening of water happen, i mean how much should i give in the winter?
And with what do you need to fill the camera? This has really got me curios ;-)

Are you saying that you are preparing the 'trees' for winter by giving them fewer by-a-schedule waterings? Regardless of whether the pots need i or not, you watered daily? That pretty much right???

Alex

BEEMERW

I have 2 maples, but i have 1 Crape myrtle, 2 Kirijuse (san Jose) Heavenly Bamboo) then 1 I planted from a seed as a regular heavenly Bamboo, , 1 Umpqua princess Heavenly Bamboo, 1 Blue Wisteria That is an American- Blue fuctucean Amythesth Falls, 1 Chinese Wisteria,. Then inside for the winter I have my fukien tea and 1 gardenia that has now been the survivor. So yes, my trees. Just need to know for the winter, to taper watering, i am not sure how little you truly taper down. my maples loved the once a week soak. absolutely bubbled because there is so much ridiculous new growth now. new buds and leaves have popped out. but in the past, and i mean a long time ago, i did not get dormancy, and there is not a lot of info on specifics of how much to give instead of generically, just taper and give a little to each, but no soak or nothing. I am at a loss.
BARBARA MARTIN

alexinoklahoma

Your 'soakings' had nothing to do with growth. It was just having moisture available - proper watering would have given even more growth ;-)

Only water when soil is dry at ~1/2 to an inch deep. And water from above - not as a 'soak'. Trees are stupid and do not care about soaks; just give them water from above and all is happy with them. Do not worry about tapering off water...as plant goes dormant and temps drop, less water is used so less is given. You do not make a tree go dormant by withholding water ;-) And once all leaves have fallen off a dormant tree, no water is used by tree at all until it awakens in Spring...

Again, do not water on a schedule - only give water when soil needs it. Dormancy happens as temps drop and days shorten. Period. :-)

Go read all the stickies and the articles at www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm in order to get the basics of 'bonsai care' better understood. It seems that you are getting annual/perennial care mixed in with tree-in-a-pot care. Different items needing different approaches and materials, including watering 'schedules' ;-)

Filled the camera yet?

HTH,
Alex

BEEMERW

I am waiting for my new plants this week. i have some boomers coming. They will be here probably within 2 weeks, then the camera will be done. Each of my trees will be under each of "my" categories. This info is awesome. thank you soooooo much. you are a lifesaver. I do not want to harm my plants in any way. so this is great.
BARBARA MARTIN

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”