BEEMERW

White wisteria

I ordered a Chinese White Wisteria. It will be here soon. 8"high they say and I will also be getting hard to find blue Japanese Wisteria Vine Seeds. The Plant is an all weather plant, so it should be interesting. any experience? barb

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Barbara,

Do you know if the plant is a seedling or a cutting. I ask because seedling grown Wisteria can take may years to flower. Are you intending to grow this one as a bonsai as well?

Norm

BEEMERW

just got it and of course, no info with it. I am not sure if it is seed or cuttings. I read Wisteria take 10 years to blossom, but repotting can make them bloom or thw right kind of pruning. I asked the grower, hirt's gardens, how old it was and all the info to get a better idea. it is 8" tall as they said. This company through Amazon is good. They give exactly as they describe. that is where I got the Fukien Tea.

BEEMERW

[url=https://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0002nu5.jpg][img]https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5648/scan0002nu5.th.jpg[/img][/url]

I have a picture, but I do not know why it is not posting. here is the code. who knows. The baby I revived in a second pot. I put it in Spagnum moss and the soil and it regenerated with fertilizer. it became root bound and after shriveling, strted growing again. the big one is 2 years old. it is going to bloom they say by mext year. it is a cutting. They say use a 20-20-20 low nitrogen fertilizer. part sun and part shade. I can prune all year round, cutting off leaves with holes or discolored ones or cutting back stems, they say it just regenerates..

BEEMERW

:( The baby is not too good....so I dedid the spagnum moss. too much water. I did not squeeze it out. so it is wet. Do not know if it will regenerate. I know I have one plant alive and kicking. it just is sad. No growth to the blue seeds with the Spagnum. I am not expecing miracles, except my crepe myrtle seeds started growng with the spagnum moss.

BEEMERW

I have learned a great deal from growing this. When you have the Wisteria outside in the sun, the leaves point up straight up. The other very interesting part is, and I think this is how it can creeo if on rocks, it must drp seeds somehow, because I have 2 babies that are growing now. They popped out. It is very interesting.

Even with se4ed. For the Blue seed, they say soak 24 hours and the shell does soften. The first time I planted it, They somehow disappeared in the soil and were gone. Now I am experimenting. I seed I cut a little, 1 is completely soaked. Both are in Spagnum Moss. We shall See. (see Crepe Myrtle)

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It's possible these were seeds that were planted at the same time as the original plant. If the plant is not flowering, it's not dropping seeds. More likely, though, these are suckers growing from the root base of the same plant. Can you expose them down to the roots to verify this?

BEEMERW

I repotted it. And I did not have Bonsai soil, so I planted it with regular potting soil for indoor plants and keep it outside. That is why it is so odd. When I got it, it had 1 baby, I tried to rept, it died, I resurrected it with spagnum moss, but I stupidly fertilized. not suppoased to even water with Spagnum. In fact with slow growing seeds, Spagnum moss absobs the seed, but they disappear with no growth. small seed grows, like Crepe myrtle. Large like this seed, gets absorbed.

So I do not know how babies are deverloping, but I have 2 growing on the side, I started, then the otherpopped out, either from the root, or from somewhere, but not from anyone else. I even trimmed the root and spread it for the pot. they started it in a sure deep pot and I put it in a rectangle long, like in all the pictures, and spread the root. She still has a lot of room to grow because she is young and the roots are not thick and real fat right now. they are the stringy onesthat could be spreadout. So I have to wait until the other 2 get bigger to repot them, like longer, or repot the big tree again. I have the original pot, which is smaller for the 2. They need some more growth to survive, then I can replant them there.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I'm sorry, I really could not make heads nor tails of your reply, so I can't be any further help. I can say that allowing sucker growth is not good as it will sap the energy of the rest of the tree. If you used regular potting mix, it's also possible, and more likely, that such quick germination is from contaminant seeds in the mix and not actually Wisteria.

BEEMERW

I just got Bonsai mix, so I can repot and replant the seedlings and see what comes out.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

BEEMERW,

Just to reinforce what was already mentioned, it is very unlikely that these are actually seedlings. If your plants have not flowered and produced pods then they are not seedlings. You have not had these individual plants long enough for them to go through an entire reproductive cycle. Wisteria pods look similar to bean pods with multiple seeds per pod. Furthermore they will not germinate until the following spring. It is far more likely that they are suckers or some unknown volunteer.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

"Volunteer", lol, I like that. Is that a common term?

Anyway, yeah, Norm's 100% on. If these are, indeed, separate plants, it's most likely that the "volunteers" are weeds, and not worth growing. I've given more than my share of "volunteers" a chance and invariably, they've been weeds or grasses.

BEEMERW

that is funny, because they have the same look like the wisteria on top, not like a weed. You are the experts. I am not fighting that and with my other seed of the blue wisteria I am replanting it as we speak to the Bonsai potting soil. I have seed in Peat moss as well because that true seedling that did grow that I did kill, was resurrecting. I know that is a good compound. It just absorbed the forst seedlings and nothing produced. maybe because I was not leasving it dry. I kept watering it and squeezing oout the moistur because of the hard shell. now I soaked it longer, and since there are multiple seeds, I did different variations to see what works best.

But I will get those weeds out of the pot of the wisteria today and make sure she has good soil. thanks to both of you. she should be blooming soon according to Hirts gardens, where I got it. No pods yet, but She is having the middle part get thicker and bumpier and you can see changes.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

BEEMERW,
that is funny, because they have the same look like the wisteria on top, not like a weed.
Then there is a good chance that they are suckers, new plants forming from the roots of the older individual. You could make an attempt to remove them carefully or simply snip them off and be done with them. And BTW you won't see the pods begin to form until after the flowers fade.

"Volunteer", lol, I like that. Is that a common term?
Yes it is. It is not uncommon to get Tomatoes growing in the compost pile or even sometimes the garden, leftovers from the previous year.

Norm

BEEMERW

I think I definitely have flower pods. Right now they are green formations at the top of the trunk with one then the other slightly lower and theother slightly lower, about 4 that formed so far. Then a little loer there is another start again. So I think it is finally happening. I also got form Joe Bonsai 100% Bonsai soil. Did not realize it was just enough for this pot. But sonce this blend These pods burst out. maybe from repotting and the soil. Also the temperature is hot. I have all my seeds and pots out. I am trying to see if the purple/ blue seeds will start coming up.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Barb,
I think I definitely have flower pods.
Good for you. I never had any luck with Wisteria and have given up on them after my best plant died back one winter. I did not have the heart to start again.

Norm

BEEMERW

I did look again and the pods are at the tops cascading only at the first section. made a small mistake. Thought they were in the second section where there is a second branch. The top pod seems to be stretching up a little. I am sorry you have not had success. Hirt's Gardens on Amazon has them at a good price and they are 3 years old in good shape. If I would have been more careful, The baby they had in the pot growing next to it I could have saved, but I took it out prematurely. Live and learn. :D

BEEMERW

It is interesting watching this Wisteria. The pods at the top are enlongating and there are some formating at the 2nd tier where the 1 branch meets the next, and I see a little white, but on the trunk, I see a little green growth. is that a leaf, or maybe another one of the big arms that come out? Also, again, though it is now in bonsai soil, away form other plants even, with other bonsai's, it has 2 little seedlings in the Bonsai soil. do I just remove these again? Just stupis little risiduals? I guess weeds get into all plants, but I want to make sure I pull out what I should.

I Also made sure I replanted some of my Ble wisteria seeds in Bonsai soil instead of normal potting soil. No Bonsai is in Normal potting soil.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Unless it's a small volunteer that could possibly add accent to the bonsai, I remove weeds ASAP. I do have a few that I keep as accents, one unknown, sometimes a grass here or there, clover, etc. I just keep them small and make sure there's only one or two, and always keep in mind the overall picture.

BEEMERW

I did remove them. They looked the same like last time :D I am not positive, but I think one pod expanded, it started coming out looking like it is like a small evergreen branch. The middle stick with the little green coming out of the sides, and the side stucture is not a leaf, but a pod on the trunk. It is green with that hair feel. It is strange. Everyday it changes. more growth.So I will Keep Watching. Barb

BEEMERW

It seems the pods on top died back and I just have those arm things that look like evergreen branches with litle soft needles. I have one from the lower trunk and one higher and I do not get it. We have had a lot of rain, but there is an overhang they are under. So I do not know what she is doing.Everything else looks good. I may order a purple one through Glasshouse works Greenhouse also. n Those seeds are not moving yet. But I am on the fence.

BEEMERW

Gotta tell you, I read on an article from a wisteria websisite saying about not to put wisteria in shallow pots, but deep pots. Now mine was in a rectaangle 6" pot but the roots were spread out horizontally. the demensions are not deep, because it is your average bonsai pot. when I got it it was in a more deep pot that was smll, but deep, so I thought the horizontal would make up for it. Well I took this advisement and found an old 8" terra cotta flower pot When I replanted, I kept in mind not to go too big and so there was not too much shock I did not comb out anything, I literally just put in more bonsai soil and replanted. I did notice more new root, which is nice to see. I did not trim anything, just repotted. So I looked this morning, and it is standing taller it seems, with that side growth that looked like a geen long thing with soft structures coming out, it changenged. The soft structures came in now and became a little bumpy and it has a little whitw to it. so I think I read it could be a special growth it goes through besides the pods. So this may be the best thing I have done for it. Also, I have to feed this a lot to get it to grow supposedly. Is that really true?

Where can you buy a lot of fertilizer of bonsai food on the net or what brand is good that is affordable cheap? They are babies to me, but wow, it is hard to keep up with when to actually feed without overfeeding or underfeeding. is slow release good? I have a solid I got with my Maples, or is that just for maples?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

In the context of bonsai, deep and shallow mean very different things when compared to the growing of other plants. No bonsai pots (besides those meant for cascade or semi-cascade styles) are deeper than their next shortest dimension. So, you can expect, say, a 6"x8" oval pot to be 1" deep on the shallow end, and maybe up to 2½" or 3" deep on the deep end. This is a far cry from the depth to length and width proportions of "normal" pot plant pots, all of which, if you had to consider them for bonsai, would be considered something along the lines of cascade or semi-cascade styles more than anything. In short, when Wisteria as a bonsai is recommended to be in a "deep" pot, the recommendation is referring more towards a pot being closer to ½ as deep as its next shortest dimension rather than being ¼ as deep or less. When you get into much larger pots, though, those proportions fall off. I'm referring to pots of around 8" or less. Larger pots don't really get too much deeper so proportions would be obviously much smaller for depth:next shortest dimension.

Personally, I'm using a liquid fertilizer in conjuction with slow release pellets. Neither of these was very expensive as I recall.

BEEMERW

So should I put the wisteria back in the 6" because I spread the root back in the beginning after trimming it because it was long. Now it was long again, but in the terra cotta I though the roots could grow freely. I want to keep this a bonsai. Will it stay in a pot this size? or do I need maybe an 8 " or go back to my 6".

this side growth has this white tip, which is inteteresting. the bottom soil in this larger pot is this new soil mix. so I checked my wisteria seeds. 1 blue one seemed to grow under the soil 2 inches and dry up for some reason, never surfacing I thought I had them pretty close to the surface. now with this in mind, the soil may be too strong and I need to get a softer mix. do you know what can work the best? I can do a seach for one, but I want the most nutritious. I have liquid fertilizer, but I need to get bigger bottles. I have a low nitrogen from Joe Bonsai.

BEEMERW

Forgot to say, the genus of the wisteria I am getting is Wisteria Frutescens Amysthyst Falls. Barb

BEEMERW

Sorry, I never remember everything I want to say....I saw a picture of a wisteria, similar in trunk size but with many arms, very full with flowers and leaves, in a similar size terra cotta pot. It looked beautiful. now I will try to send it on my next write up. it is just odd because it is not a photograph exactly,but on an article, so the pictur itself is small. my computer cannot enlarge, no photoshop. I may have to take a pictur of it and enlarge it. It just looks like a bouquet, not so miniature, In the true spirit of bonsai, that is not considered a true Bonsai to be that big? because it is miniature, but full, like a garden plant that had Miracle grow. I think that takes away from bonsai. My species I am getting is an American Wisteria with supposedly miniature flowers. Barb

BEEMERW

Ok, it is almost 5pm and I checked on my plants one final time today. they needed a last watering Everyone was getting dry. I studied my Wisteria and noticed where the pods were, it is still that soft hair feeling, just a little browned with more wood looking area and small geen stuff, but....;.I then saw......new pods growing again around this area.So who knows what the heck is going on right now. But this growth nis a , I think piece that serves as an arm to the flowers as far as I read. I think a Raceme. it sounds like one, but I cannot find any close up pictures to see the structure and break down of terms. Barb

BEEMERW

If I have a raceme, I have another at the top of the tree that has spokes again. The one on the side has a nodule and the spoke pulled in. so who knows what that is going to do now that I am not replanting. barb

BEEMERW

the ranceme is an inch and a half, but the spokes folded in again. the other did not have a stem. this does. The first is still on the plant, not dead, but with a little fuzz and a ball at the tip. It has a little thick stem from the spokes, if that makes sense. but this new one, the spokes just folded in for some reason. Barb

BEEMERW

Well the growth at the top of the plant, the raceme is a leaf raceme because it sprouted many leaves quck! Now the one at the trunk I wonder if it is a water shoot I am reading about, I just cannot find a picture to see it. It is at the trunk, started looking like a raceme, but closed and now has a ball, but is now growing out, so I do not know what it will do. It does have a ball at the end of it.

BEEMERW

This tree keeps changing....now the thing on the trunk, instead of the end being ball like, it is now a bit hair like. and the leaves at the top are I guess the pigment is a darker green, brownish until it turns totally green. Now I do see small pods at the top. The tippy top where there were big pods before, though discolored, still has a pod feel, but is white brown, not green like the lower ones that are smaller. This is so fun!!!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Barb,

I find that despite having Wisteria in the neighborhood I have never gotten a really good look at the flowering process. The flowers are very high in an old White Pine. I had a few in pot for a while but when the only decent one died over the winter I kind of gave up on them. I think it is getting to be rather late for flowers this season though.

Norm

BEEMERW

I know at 3 years old this wisteria is very young for flowers, but just everything thast is going on is so incredible!!!!. I still wonder about the growth on the side, whether it is a water growth that I read that is supposedly bad or if it is ok to leave it. I cannot find any other info on any bad growths, but supposedly this ghenes for wisteria can have a trunk growth that can be bad for vine or trunk. it grws horizontal. this is growing diagonal and it has a hair-like tip. Just want the plant to be ok.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”