bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Growing Tamarind from Seed

The story is, I was at the grocery store, and they had tamarinds fruit for sale. Seeing as I heard they taste good, and can be used as bonsai if the seeds are sown, I figured I'd by a few. I separated the seeds from the pod, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to germanate them. And, while I'm on the topic, does anyone know any good tips for bonsaiing them? Any info would be very useful!

Thanks!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I purchased a few Tamarind seeds maybe 4 or 5 months ago. The instructions said to simply sow themm just below the soil's surface. So far, nothing's sprouted. But then, I did plant a few Kumquat seeds around the same time that just started sprouting.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I just thought I'd might say this just for the heck of it, but an inspection of my tamarind seeds has revealed that the ones I've stripped of there shells have grown a root more than an inch in length. I gess I'll post here when there officialy germanated (ie: grown leafs), as I will do for my podocarpus (wich still hasn't germanated, but I managed to remove the entire shell from the 8 remaining seeds without damage to the embrios).

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”