blondie
Newly Registered

Juniper bonsai with yellow leaves :-(

Please help! I have had my Juniper bonsai for about a month now, and the leaves closest to the trunk at the center are turning yellow. I don't think it is too far gone-- the yellowing just started.

I have the bonsai in a window and open it everyday. I now realize I should have it outside and will transition it outdoors.

Do you think it is suffering from overwatering or underwatering? I used to water every week (I now know scheduling is not the right thing to do). I also added water underneath so that it could get enough moisture (the bonsai pot has legs and doesn't touch the water).

Thanks! I really would like to save it!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

blondie,

There may be nothing wrong with your tree. At some point older needles will fall and the interior portions of the shoots will begin to lignify or become woody.

It is hard to comment on the possibility of over or under watering. If the soil stays damp for a week though it may be an indication that the soil is too water retentive. My Juniper is in a nearly inorganic mix and I water approximately every other day now.

Norm

blondie
Newly Registered

Thanks! I will stay in touch.

-blondie

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”