Liz85
Newly Registered

can you help me with my Bonsai? (Juniper)

I bought this Bonsai from a man selling them on the street here in my hometown, sadly to admit I misplaced the directions on how to care for it!! the top of its leafs our turning brown and brittle. If I barely touch them they break off. I do remember he said it was 4 yrs old. I don't know what kind of Bonsai it is, but attached a photo to my profile. I just need some advice.... I need to know about pruning and watering about changing the soil you know on and so fourth.... I feel bad its a beautiful plant and I need HELP!!!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Liz,

hello and welcome. I cannot locate a picture associated with you profile. :?: To post pictures you must use a third party hosting service. Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]here[/url] for instuctions on using two different services, choose one.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Have you tried looking at pictures of bonsais (if you can't get one uploaded)? Since nothing goes south as fast as a juniper brought indoors, IME anyway, have you looked at juniper, most specifically Juniperus procumbens "nana" bonsais?

Liz85
Newly Registered

I think I have the picture now hope this works.....
[img]https://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/ZebleinE/ZebSoul054.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Liz,

It would seem that kdodds is either prescient or very lucky, I believe your tree is indeed a Juniper. From the picture and your description I don't have a good feeling about this tree. Junipers are one of the least appropriate trees for indoor culture and unfortunately by the time they get crispy and brittle they are almost certainly dead or nearly so.

I would move it outside to a sheltered location of you are able to. Don't try to overcompensate with excessive water. it won't work. If you wish make a small, but moderately deep, knick in the trunk and look for green living tissue. There may still be a slim chance it will recover. You can also mist it if you wish it might help.

Where are you located and what is your weather like now?

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html[/url]

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

quote="Gnome"]It would seem that kdodds is either prescient or very lucky[/quote]

LOL, 10 or 15 years of identifying fish, online, from meager descriptions kind of gives me an edge. ;) The circumstances of the purchase and Liz's urgency combined with her description led me to conclude the most obvious species would be a juniper. ;)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”