alisios

Unknown insect eats new buds...

Hello - I have a problem - I've been noticing that everyday there seems to be an insect of some sort eating the ends of the new branches that are budding - it's also eating the new leaves -

I've also noticed some completely severed little branches are aren't eaten...

I haven't been able to identify the culprit, because I haven't seen it! :(

grasshopper?

Anyhoo, I'm very upset because I try so hard to to make these bonsai grow... Is there any type of spray I could use? Neem oil?

Thanks again for any infos...

C

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Is it happening to all plants? Some plants? One plant? How dense is the foliage? Is it possible you're missing aphids or scale insects under the leaves?

Gnome
Mod

alisios,

I can sympathize, you invest so much effort and emotional energy into these little trees only to see them fall victim to something that is out of your control or even worse, something you cannot identify. It seems every year I am faced with a new problem of some sort.

Try harder to observe and identify the culprit. If you do decide to use something make sure to test it out on a small area first. Some plants are more insensitive than others.

Norm

alisios

Thanks all -

I wonder if it's actually an insect or if it's a rat/mouse - I have found a nearby water drip line that has been chewed through - not that that has anything to do with missing buds, but the severed branches has me suspicious...

I'll be putting out some traps tonight...

Gnome
Mod

alisios,

I wonder if it's actually an insect or if it's a rat/mouse...not that that has anything to do with missing buds.

You might have hit the nail on the head with that particular observation.:wink:

I had Pine seedlings that were dis-budded by an unknown pest and I do have a lot of chipmunks and squirrels here. Also maple seeds were removed from their husks and the husks left behind.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”