Mazza6059
Newly Registered

Yet another Chinese Elm owner is distress

Good afternoon all,
I know its common place to get these posts,but I really need some help!
I have a Chinese Elm that was a gift from my partner last July, the garden centre where she got it from informed us that it would need repotting this year.
About a month ago the soil was struggling to soak up water (just running off)so I decided it was time to repot.
I went back to the place we got it from and purchased some soil that the owner told me was correct for my elm.
I repotted it about 3 weeks ago (never done anything like that before,but watched a ton of YouTube videos, trimmed around 25% off the longest 2 roots and when repotted,watered thoroughly). I then kept it in a quite bright room (very temperature stable),but put it in a position that it wouldn't get any direct sunlight. A week ago,after deciding that it wasn't looking too healthy (leaves browning) and as the weather was so nice I decided to move it outside. I kept it outside for 7 days.
Now my tree really looks dead!
Yesterday I scraped a little bark away half way up the trunk and it is bright green underneath so hoping that it isn't dead/dieing.
4 days ago the soil was quite dry and after more YouTube videos (titled such as "help my Chinese elm is dying) I decided to water with the submission method, filled a tray up to just under the brim of the pot and left for 10 minutes before removing and allowing it to drain.
Please can someone spare some advice on how to try and save my Chinese elm?
I have attached 3 photos, one out of the old pot showing the roots,one straight after repotting (3 weeks ago) and 1 from arou nd 10mins ago.
Thank you in advance, Matt
Attachments
20180525_162202.jpg
20180505_100318.jpg
20180505_102342.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Well, did you do any root pruning or cut off any damaged roots? I think the plant is in shock. If it still has some green it may put out new leaves in time if you are lucky. Usually, I don't remove all of the soil from the roots unless I have to and it is better to use a medium similar to what it was growing in if it was happy. It sounds like it was not watered enough afterwards so it stressed the plant even more. Bonsai need to be hardened off just like other plants it cannot go from inside to outside in the sun. It should go out gradually. Bonsai once they go outside may need to be watered more than inside since they dry much faster. I usually water outside potted plants daily.

Is the plant stable? The roots look like they are not in the same angle as it was originally. It actually can be ok to do that as long as the plant is stable and does not shake. If the plant shakes then it will be hard for the roots to reestablish.

Mazza6059
Newly Registered

I did trim the roots,but only the longest ones,and by about 30%. Don't know how to identify damaged roots. I also thought it was necessary to remove all soil from the roots.
I soil never seemed to get dry,I have a stick that I use to test the need for watering and I never let it fully dry out before watering.
Yeah the tree is stable,I packed the new soil in well around the roots and the tree doesn't wobble or anything.

What is the best thing for me to do now?
I've moved it back inside and since the pic took it out of direct sunlight,but still a well out room.
Thanks for the reply.
Matt

imafan26
Mod

I would keep it in good light but a sheltered location. As long as the main branch is still green, it has a chance to come back. All you can do now is wait and hope for the best. I would remove the dying leaves since they don't do any good.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”