Samuraigirl
Newly Registered

DEAD BONSAI - can I Revive it?

My bonsai looks dead, but is it?
I've scraped the trunk and it's green underneath, but has't healed over. Some of the branches are dead, but a few have green underneath too, they haaven't healed yet. However, there are leaves but they're a faded green and they're dead. I've soaked it and it hasn't revived, I gave it some bonsai feed (diluted obviously) after I watered it, but the soil is still wet from yesterday. Is it dead and can I heal it?

brian

I am by no means an expert Bonsai grower but a lot of the information I have read suggests that overreacting can end up being the death of your tree. Be patient and find as much information as you can on your tree before you take any drastic measures. How long have you had it?
There could be a lot of factors affecting it besides water and fertilizer. Like I was saying I am no expert but you are definitely in the right place to get some good advice. Hang in there :D

Samuraigirl
Newly Registered

Thanks,
Can anyone tell me what to do? I love the little guy!
If it helps, I don't know what type it is but it looks like a tea tree. I don't know what type though.
:(
I've just realised that it has some moss growing on the soil which I didn't put there. I have no idea at all how it got there. It wasn't there when I bought it. Could that do anything to it? It's also had this white fluffy wool stuff that was a bug but I got rid of it twice and it hasn't got it now.

brian

Hello again,
If you have any way of posting a picture of your tree it is very helpfull in determining what type of tree you have and what the problems might be. Just an uneducated guess but the growth that you are describing sounds like it could be a mold or fungus and tht could be from overwatering. I understand your concern for your little friend and I hope everything works out. There are very easy to follow instructions on how to post pictures in the forum but if you still have problems like I did there are lots of people who can help. Good luck and God bless, Brian.

Samuraigirl
Newly Registered

Thanks.
Update: My bonsai's soil is still wet and it's been a day after I watered it. I'm confused because parts of the trunk are green and parts are yellow underneath, all the branches are brittle and I think they're dead.
I think it's dead. But if parts of the trunk are green then is part of it still alive? Can I do anything to keep it alive?
I considered funghi but I think the moss is just moss, it looks pretty mossy anyway. It's green and springy and green and green and springy and green...
I afraid I can't post a picture because I don't have a camera. :(
I think I underwatered it. I had bonsai food but I got confused by the instructions, it said 5ml in 1 litre of water every two weeks, but how can you fit that much in a bonsai? So I diluted 1ml in 200ml and fed it that almost constantly. I'm afraid to say a lot of it wasn't after it watering. I soaked it every week and watered about once every two days. But it's survived for a bit more than a year! I got it for my birthday last February and I only noticed it last week! I was really busy last week and I think I didn't water it for about 4/5days.
I feel really horrible, I've killed him :cry:
Can anyone tell me if there's still hope and if not, what I've done wrong. I can see quite a lot actually, but it did survive for ages.

brian

I understand your pain at possibly losing your little friend but all may not be lost. If you know what type of tree you have it would be very helpful in determining whether it has permanent damage or is just sending you a message that it is unhappy with you for changing its routine. If you were able to keep it healthy for a year then you must have been doing something right. I have read that for many species the last thing you should do is fertilize or overwater to compensate for underwatering because that can lead to root rot. You would be far better off to just try and get it back on the schedule that worked for the previous year and not shock your tree any further. I hope that things work out for you but, worst case scenario, we all make mistakes, it is what we learn from them that is important! Have a great day and God Bless, Brian :D

Samuraigirl
Newly Registered

I'm trying to keep it the same, I'm going to soak it on Sunday 'cause that's when I normally do it but I haven't fed it any more. I'm wondering whether it might have root rot or be root bound, should I inspect the roots? If it does have root rot what should I do? I bought it from a garden center so I don't know how long it's been in there.
Maybe I should take the moss out or repot it?

brian

I am still fairly new tobonsai myself so I cant help you much further sorry :cry: Is there any of the resident bonsai experts around who can give samuraigirl a hand? hope everything works out for you and your tree. God Bless and have a great day, Brian :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Samuraigirl,

Don't take any drastic measures, re-potting a tree in distress often hastens it's demise. Brian is correct, the best course is to maintain a steady routine. Don't try to overcompensate by watering more frequently, in fact often a tree in distress will use less water rather than more.

You mentioned the fertilizer being too much for a small plant. You do not need to use the full Liter (quart) all at once that is just how to mix it. I'm afraid my metrics is a little rusty, you maintained the same ratio, correct? At any rate no more fertilizer for now either, it is not medicine.

Identifying the tree is important too. You say that you believe it is a Tea tree. Does this look like it?
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Fukien_Tea_Tree_flower.jpg/600px-Fukien_Tea_Tree_flower.jpg[/img]

Norm

Samuraigirl
Newly Registered

Yep, that's it. It flowers too!
I didin't move it because it was happy there but I checked the windows. I'm not watering it much but waiting for the soil to dry a bit. I'm not too hopeful at the moment but I haven't done anything drastic like repot or cut all the branches off :shock:
I don't think I'd do that unless I was sleepwalking.
I doesn't seem to bad but all the branches are stiff and there are no leaves still.
If it does die can anyone recommend me an indoor bonsai, I kept this one indoors for ages without realising. If I do get another tea tree can it stay indoors? And if I put it outside where outside, in a sunny place? I have a lean-to attached to my house (a sortof garage place) that gets about the same temperature as outside, no, a bit warmer, and has a see-through roof for sunlight. I'm afraid that if I pur it outside I'll forget where I put it, indoors is much better.
if it's dead has anyone got ideas for burying it? :cry:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”