HTennick27
Newly Registered

Could someone please identify my bonsai?

Hi! I'm a beginner bonsai carer and I've recently bought two bonsais, I know that one is a japanese holly but I'm not aware of the other one. I have provided several photos, some of the bonsai whole, some of the bonsai's leaves and some of the bonsai's wood. (The bonsai may look a bit out of condition, I'm not used to caring for them so I didn't know what to do and the leaves started to wild but don't worry I am saving it!)

Thank you to anyone who managed to identify my bonsai! Thanks! :)
Attachments
IMG_4848.JPG
IMG_4846.JPG
IMG_4844.JPG
IMG_4843.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Think it is probably a willow leaf ficus. Not looking great, but ficus are famous for dropping their leaves when they get moved and especially when light conditions change. Good news about that is that they also readily grow them back when conditions are to their liking. Yours probably needs more light-- either a good south facing unobstructed window or supplemental lighting from a fluorescent lamp shining directly on it from not very far away.

This thread : viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1479 has a lot of good information for getting started with bonsai, especially how and when to water, which is crucial. The non-forum part of this website has a lot of good information about bonsai also: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/

EG of bonsai lighting:

You can get floor lamp or wall mounted (even this picture, the lamp is a little farther away than it really should be)

HTennick27
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for the help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a couple more examples of how to light indoor bonsai:

understand that by buying bonsai you didn't just buy houseplants. Trees in tiny pots are much trickier. There's a lot of science to keeping them alive and thriving and there's a lot of art to shaping them and making them look natural. The art of bonsai is to create an illusion of a big old weathered tree miniaturized. Through the winter you can be learning to take care of them and reading about the art and science of bonsai.

HTennick27
Newly Registered

I took both of your advices, and I went out today and got a light for the trees! I also did research on taking care of the Willow leaf Ficus. Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_4857.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Willow leaf ficus is a very twiggy little tree, that doesn't seem to lend itself to the most artistic forms. Frequently what you see is just a straight trunk with a bunch of shapeless twigs at the top:

One way to do a bit more with it is with the nebari (above ground roots) as in this picture:

Note that the twigs have also been thinned and shaped.

Here's a shohin (very miniature) bonsai, where the trunk has been given some motion:

Here's a slanted and thinned one:

As you read up about the art and technique of bonsai, you can start thinking about what you might like to do with yours. Do nothing now, but learn how to keep it alive, but you can be thinking for later.

HTennick27
Newly Registered

Good News about my Willow Leaf Ficus, I've recently installed a fluorescent bulb a week ago and the leaves are growing back! It's in great condition. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Terrific! Thanks for coming back and letting us know... :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”