Gnome
Super Green Thumb

VR6 Mk3,
So you trim away at the soda bottle and remove the soil down to that level?
Yes, just to clarify it is an open ended cylinder. It could even be slit up the side to facilitate placing it around the assembled plant/rock. A few holes up both edges would allow it to be "stitched" together. You don't actually have to remove the soil as the act of watering helps to erode it slowly.
How slowly and how frequently are we talking about cutting away at it? Like cutting a quarter inch each month, or one inch once a year, etc?
It is not really possible to say as every situation will be different. If the roots are long enough initially to make it to the soil in the pot it would go quicker. If the roots are initially too short and are only within the cylinder it will take longer.

Norm

VR6 Mk3

Gnome wrote:VR6 Mk3,
So you trim away at the soda bottle and remove the soil down to that level?
Yes, just to clarify it is an open ended cylinder. It could even be slit up the side to facilitate placing it around the assembled plant/rock. A few holes up both edges would allow it to be "stitched" together. You don't actually have to remove the soil as the act of watering helps to erode it slowly.
How slowly and how frequently are we talking about cutting away at it? Like cutting a quarter inch each month, or one inch once a year, etc?
It is not really possible to say as every situation will be different. If the roots are long enough initially to make it to the soil in the pot it would go quicker. If the roots are initially too short and are only within the cylinder it will take longer.

Norm
I guess maybe I still don't totally understand how it works. The cylinder is within another pot, and I fill the soil higher inside the cylinder than the level of the pot?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

VR6 Mk3,

Perhaps this will clarify the process I am describing. You will not be doing this soon since you have just re-potted and it is such young material. A few years of growing out will allow the roots to lengthen and the plant to gain some bulk.
[url=https://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rootoverrockrz2.jpg][img]https://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4930/rootoverrockrz2.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Please excuse my crude artwork.

Norm

VR6 Mk3

Cool, thanks!

Is this something good for me to start with, since it will take a few years like you said?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

VR6 Mk3,
Is this something good for me to start with, since it will take a few years like you said?
That's entirely up to you, it is not terribly difficult just time consuming. Consider this though, is the material you're considering using worth the effort it will take to complete this or are you better off looking for something a little further along?

Norm

VR6 Mk3

Gnome wrote:VR6 Mk3,
That's entirely up to you, it is not terribly difficult just time consuming. Consider this though, is the material you're considering using worth the effort it will take to complete this or are you better off looking for something a little further along?

Norm
That was my question. I mean right now this one isn't costing me anything, and requires hardly any time to care for, so it's not a big deal. I could always buy another plant down the road if I think I need to I guess. I like this this is an indoor plant, and very easy to care for.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

VR6 Mk3,

Since you just re-potted it you have some time to consider your options. Here is some more information.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATRootoverrock.htm[/url]

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATrootoverrock2.htm[/url]

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I'd say cut the bottle down about ½" per month, but that would vary too depending on how much root growth you want on the rock and the size of the rock and plant. For getting expeosed roots through sphagnum, simply pile sphagnum around the base (or secure with raffia in suspended areas) and keep it moist, misting as often as needed. Give is a few months and you should have root growth.

VR6 Mk3

Thanks guys!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

FWIW, I happen to agree with Norm about the material, I don't think this specimen, as it currently looks, lends itself very nicely to root over, root on, or root in rock styles. I think I would start with something more compact, less "leggy". Just my 2¢.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”