CCtin
Newly Registered

Help! My Ficus Microcarpa is not happy in our new home

Hi,

We recently moved house and unfortunately the ficus doesn't like it. I have two options: either in the conservatory (where it gets plenty of light as it's oriented south-east, but the temperatures drop to sub 10C at night), or in the kitchen (where it gets some light, but it's warm). I had it in the conservatory where it started getting dark green spots on leaves which eventually become yellow and fall off. Moved it to the kitchen and it doesn't look happier! I attach some pictures; it is growing plenty of new leaves, but some of the older ones turn yellow.

I feel so bad about it, I don't know what would be best to do. We can't afford to have the heating full on in the conservatory to keep the temperature above 15C at night - it would cost an absolute fortune!

Please, any help would be very appreciated. I've had the ficus for 3 years now and I love it dearly. I feel so sad every time I see more yellow leaves and I don't know how to save it.

Many thanks,
Ficus depressed.
Attachments
Overview
Overview
Leaf detail
Leaf detail

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup sub 10 deg C (=50 deg F) is likely too cold for it.

If there's not enough light in your kitchen, then you need to arrange supplemental light source (a dedicated fluorescent lamp shining on it from just a few inches away, on 16 hrs a day).

imafan26
Mod

The ficus will be comfortable if you can keep the house in temps that are comfortable for most people. It will do best between 65 and 85 degrees with a humidity tray. It will adapt to lower light conditions by dropping all of its leaves, but it will grow them back. It is better not to keep moving it around. Light is important, a south facing window or artificial light may be needed as Rainbow said. It can do fine down to the low 50's. If your house is kept colder, a warm light and a heat mat could also help.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”