alisios

What makes a training pot?

Gnome wrote:I don't worry too much about moss but most of my trees are still (or even worse, moved back to :oops: ) training pots.
What is the definition of a training pot and what can they be made out of?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Usually, "training" pots are less expensive, most of the time plastic, occasionally mica. They're usually a little taller than "show" pots of the same length and width as well. The thought being here, and correct me if I'm wrong anyone, that the smaller seedlings, starters, etc. should be given as much room to grow, up to a point, to facilitate as much growth as possible with as little need to "pot up" as possible. Plus, if you're not sure if a tree is going to do well for you or not, it makes more sense economically, to go with less expensive pots. As well, since the tree itself is only part of what makes a bonsai, and the pot it a good portion of the rest, special attention should be paid to which pot the tree goes in. Sources for pots are scarce and limited, and good pots are very expensive. So, finding and purchasing the right pot to complement the tree can take quite some time and should not be considered lightly. For that reason as well, it does not make sense to spend, say, $50, on a ceramic pot that doesn'y look quite right and is only meant as a temporary solution. Better to go with a nondescript plastic training pot.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

alisios,

Perhaps I should have used the term grow box rather than training pot. The terms seem to be used somewhat interchangeably. A grow box is simply a container that is large enough to allow for good growth of young material. It could simply be a large nursery container or a purpose built wooden box. If you look at my [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4176]Zelkova[/url] you will see that it is in just such a box. I think I have two others that are similar. In short, it is the next best thing to being in the ground.

It is easy to get carried away and put material that is too young in a small pot but that only slows development. As has been noted here and elsewhere many times before; small bonsai don't become large bonsai. That is what I was alluding to in the text you quoted. Realizing that I had placed some material in small pots before they really deserved it, I took a step backward. Tough to do perhaps but necessary.

A training pot is very similar. It might be a little smaller than a grow box/pot while still not as small as a the intended bonsai pot. It is intended to begin the transition to the smaller pot in the future. Some use pond baskets here to aid in the development of feeder roots. It could even be bonsai pot that you have on hand that you know is ultimately too big, even if it of an inappropriate style or color. So you can see that the distinction between the two concepts is largely a matter of intent. One is used for growth the other for refinement, but neither is small and restricting.

By the way don't make the mistake of thinking that if a 12 X 12 inch box is good them a 24 X 24 inch box must be better. This scenario allows for a large volume of medium that remains uncolonized by roots and tends to stay wet longer.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

alisios,

Here is a picture of some pots I am currently using.
[url=https://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=potsui8.jpg][img]https://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1989/potsui8.th.jpg[/img][/url]
From left to right:

1. Nursery Zelkova in a wooden growing box.
2. Collected Burning Bush in a cut down milk crate.
3. Beech in a large pond basket.
4. Nursery Juniper in a cut down kitty litter container.
5. Collected Boxwood in a colander.
6. Collected Forsythia in some sort of nursery flat.
7. Nursery Azalea in a larger plastic pot.

Which ones are growing pots and which ones are training pots? Does it really matter? The one thing they all have in common is the lack of a fancy bonsai pot, they are not ready yet.

Norm

alisios

Norm - Thanks for the pictures! It's great to see a variety different pot ideas all being put to good use!

Thanks for the info and your thoughts

The cut down milk crate seems very solid - great idea!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”