kdodds
Greener Thumb

Just an update...

It's been 8 days since the first Gnatrol treatment. I can say that the incidence of new adults has been greatly curtailed, if not completely eliminated, as of last night. None of the trees seem any the worse for wear from this treatment (1 teaspoon per gallon in a soak) and received a second treatment last night (just in case). In conjuction with the glue traps the problem has been almost completely eliminated. :)

Gnome
Mod

kdodds,

Excellent! From time to time we have questions in this pest and until recently I was unaware that there was a strain of Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) that was effective. I believe that this is essentially the same product in case anyone has trouble locating Gnatrol.
[url]https://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=1962&sid=146146&eid=p_1962&bhcd2=1209047442[/url]

These products are naturally occurring bacteria that infect the larvae of the target species. There are also strains of Bt that are effective in controlling tent caterpillars and mosquitoes. A little research is required to ensure that you purchase the correct strain.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

:lol: Yeah, control was, so far, knock wood, pretty painless. Of course, I have not researched the life cycle of the gnats (if that's the positive id). But, I'm hoping this is not a lull in the natural breeding pattern. It wouldn't seem to be since the effect coincides with the treatment and new flies were, previously, emerging every few days.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”