horse&garden

Some newbie questions: Juniper Bonsai and Rose of Sharon

Hi all! I've been on here and various sites all night long reading and trying to learn about bonsai. Very very interesting!

My husband ordered two junipers and wants us to use them as bonsai. So far I have learned about soil composition, watering etc. I still have one or two questions.

These are small trees about 8-12 inches and trunks are about finger diameter. Would it be a good idea to just plant them out in the yard for a few years? And how would I do that so the roots grow correctly? I'm sort of thinking something that restricts root growth underground? really have no idea!

Also, I haven't seen one but another site briefly mentioned Rose of Sharon being used as bonsai. I have tons of these of various ages in my yard and have actually thought of digging them out in favor of something else... but now... has anyone used them with good or decent results? I'm thinking now one or two may have interesting trunks.... Also, anyone ever try Redbuds? (not sure on the name but that's what we call them here) And one more.. I saw a picture of Forsythia being trained... is it too late in spring to dig one? They have bloomed here and are starting to send out leaves now. I'm in Eastern NC foothills yet close to SC state line.

I believe that I have now become obsessed with this! And the trees only arrived today! :)

Thanks in advance for any info!

Christine~

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Christine,

The Junipers can be bonsai as long as you realize that they will remain on the small side for some time. One of the "secrets" of bonsai that you seem to be coming to early is that small bonsai don't become large bonsai, at least not very quickly. To make impressive bonsai work on larger material and make the smallest bonsai from it as you can.

You certainly can plant them in the ground as well. Often a tile, old dinner plate or board is placed under the roots in order to direct the roots in a more horizontal manner. Some root pruning first might be advisable. Have a look at these threads.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3423
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7106

Redbud (Cercis canadensis) is a species that has some issues as bonsai. They seem to be grown largely for the display of flowers as are Wisteria. Apparently reducing leaf size and internode length are not as easy as with some other species, I have never personally tried one as bonsai though. Perhaps this is a species best left for later after you develop the basic skills.

If you have Forsythia and Rose of Sharon that are of good size these are the ones I think I would concentrate on. Of the two I only have Forsythia in pots. If the leaves are just emerging I think you can probably get away with digging them now, they seem pretty vigorous. Look for the largest trunk you can find. Also look for specimens with some movement rather than ramrod straight trunks. Here is one of mine. I just potted it last year, prior to that it spent a year in the garden recovering from being dug.
[url=https://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=forsytiasp4.jpg][img]https://img395.imageshack.us/img395/4467/forsytiasp4.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Although this is an example of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis rather than Hibiscus syriacus It may be of interest, Walter Pall is the artist.
[img]https://walter-pall.de/floweringhibiscus_nr__1.jpg.dir/images/2003_07_dscn1421r4v.jpg[/img]

Norm

alisios

Hello - I see the bonsai bug has hit you! :)

I guess it all depends on how much you want to get involved. I believe bonsai enthusiasts has many "pots on the stove" - ie, some in pots, some in the ground, some started from seeds, some harvested in various forms, some purchased, etc, etc - ..like me! :D

Since you have two Junipers, you could pot one and put the other in the ground. I personally like to see some trees in pots because I like looking at them! It's inspiring!

I know there's a lot for me to learn too so learning the care of plants in general is fascinating to me, which is why I also have plants in the ground, and some in "regular" plastic containers to assist in growing larger...

I don't have any experience with Rose of Sharon, but I'm a huge advocate of working with plants that grow in my area - if you have extra around the yard, then go for it!

I see you have been doing some homework which is a good thing and I'm sure a few around here will have some thoughts also...

Keep us posted!

horse&garden

thanks for the welcome!

Yep totally bitten by the bug. :)

Thanks Gnome for the links, one I'd read and the other was new. Too bad about the Redbuds, they are pretty right now and quite prolific around here! Oh well..

I've been looking at all kinds of trees as I am driving to work and back today. :) Obession takes over quickly with me. Always eager to learn something new!

My question of the day will be: What do you feed the trees? Since the soil used has no food value. How do they stay alive?

Thanks again!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Christine,

You are quite correct that your trees will need to be fertilized regularly, it would be a misconception to think otherwise. A bonsai is after all a living plant and has to be supplied with the required nutrients. Fertilizing bonsai can be simple or made unnecessarily complex. There are different schools of though on the subject. Some adhere to a strict organic regimen others use water soluble fertilizer exclusively, I use both.

Solid organics are a slow release type of product that provides nutrients slowly but, at least the products I have used, tend to clog my soil as it decomposes. So I only use these once or twice a season. I supplement these products with regular doses of commercial water soluble products. This double pronged approach works well for me.

During the summer I fertilize about every 10 to 14 days. This may seem like a lot but considering how freely bonsai medium drains and how often we water it is prudent. Also most of my material is in the early stages of training and I try to encourage vigorous growth. Older, more established trees that are in the refinement stage present a different scenario.

Brent Walston of Evergreen Garden Works is one of the most respected bonsai nurserymen in the country. Here are his thoughts on the subject.
[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/fertiliz.htm[/url]
If you follow the link to articles you will discover a wealth of information that will literally take you years to fully appreciate.

Here are the thought of Harry Harrington from the UK.
[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Feed.html[/url]
Note the areas of agreement and disagreement and begin to form your own plan. Much good information on his site as well.

Norm

horse&garden

Thank you again! Off to read those pages. Well, in the morning maybe, it's getting late now...

I am now approaching Bonsai the way I approach my horses... Ask questions, take all info and digest, stick with what works. Ask more questions. Never stop learning.

:) Thanks, all!

I'll be back I'm sure!

Christine~

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”