Hairy Potter
Newly Registered

Magnolia Bonsai Leaves Browning & Limb Very Curved

Hello, I'm new to this forum :) I've recently gotten interested in the art of bonsai, and I came here looking for some guidance.

I have a few small concerns.
  • The leaves that are growing in have a brown color at the tips, and the more mature leaves have some brown around the edges.
  • One limb of the tree is very curved, which I'm not sure is healthy or not.
  • Some of the leaves have little yellow spots/holes, which may be from bugs but I'm not sure. I hardly ever see bugs on it. Also, many of the leaves have a warped/twisted appearance.
About the tree
My tree is a magnolia sapling from the (semi) wild. I've been caring for it for a little over a week now. It's potted in a "self-watering" container which I water from the bottom (let me know if that's the right thing to do ^^').
  • I water it with tap water whenever the soil at the top starts feeling dry, which is every few days.
  • It's planted in standard potting soil.
  • It sits on the front porch under an overhang, where it gets morning sun from the east and shade for the rest of the day.
  • It gets windy, which I am somewhat worried about because it's still very young and twiggy.

If any of you botanical brains could help out a black thumb, I would be very grateful! :D I will attach some pictures, and give me your thoughts.
Attachments
A close up look at the warped leaves
A close up look at the warped leaves
More brown leaves. You can also see more discolored splotches on some leaves.
More brown leaves. You can also see more discolored splotches on some leaves.
New leaves with brown tips. You may also be able to see the browned edges of the bigger leaves, as well as the yellow spots.
New leaves with brown tips. You may also be able to see the browned edges of the bigger leaves, as well as the yellow spots.
This is the tree. As you can see, one limb is curved very far.
This is the tree. As you can see, one limb is curved very far.

Hairy Potter
Newly Registered

Update: the leaves growing from top seem to have outgrown their brown tips. However, most of the leaves are starting to get white spots
image.jpg
EDIT: the white spots are gone now. It has since rained, so it was possibly just some debris that got washed away. The brown edges And brown splotches / holes are still a concern
Attachments
This limb seems to be changing shape. It is not bent over like it used to be, and is now curving upwards. Again, I am unsure of what this means.
This limb seems to be changing shape. It is not bent over like it used to be, and is now curving upwards. Again, I am unsure of what this means.
A good example of a brown splotch. You can also see that its opposing leaf is very stunted. Should I cut it off?
A good example of a brown splotch. You can also see that its opposing leaf is very stunted. Should I cut it off?
Yellow speckles on this one leaf
Yellow speckles on this one leaf
The leaves on the tallest limb are having a big growth spurt! :D But although they lost their brown tips, they have become brown around the edges like the rest of the leaves. New brown tipped leaves are growing in.
The leaves on the tallest limb are having a big growth spurt! :D But although they lost their brown tips, they have become brown around the edges like the rest of the leaves. New brown tipped leaves are growing in.
These little brown tipped leaves on the shortest limb don't seem to be growing much, especially in comparison to the leaves at the top of the tallest limb, which have grown a ton over the last couple days
These little brown tipped leaves on the shortest limb don't seem to be growing much, especially in comparison to the leaves at the top of the tallest limb, which have grown a ton over the last couple days

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”