Adesai
Newly Registered

Chinese​ Elm Bonsai, leaves curling and turning brown

Hi

My Chinese Elm Bonsai's leaves are turning brown and curling and have been for quite a while now. I have been watering until the soil appears saturated but the appearance suggests maybe it's dehydrated? I've scratched a branch and it's green under the bark so I'm guessing it much still be alive but what do I need to do to get the leaves open and green again?

Thank you

Anuja
Attachments
IMG_20170403_165438734.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nothing you can do to get the existing leaves "open and green again." They will fall. What you are concerned about is to get your little tree to start putting out new leaves.

I'm no expert, but my guess would be over-watered, not under-watered. You said " I have been watering until the soil appears saturated" which is probably right. You want to pour water on until it is running freely out the drain holes. The question is what happens after that. When you water bonsai, you should always give it plenty of water. The way you avoid over watering is 1) have it in good bonsai soil with plenty of mineral content, that drains very freely and doesn't hang on to water and 2) don't water again until the top layers of the soil are drying out. (Also 3) never let the water level in that humidity tray touch the bottom of the soil. Your bonsai pot should be sitting OVER the water in the tray, not in it )

I can tell you have already failed 1). I don't understand why bonsai are usually sold in soil that is very bad for them - peat based and very moisture holding. I guess it is so the vendor can get away with not paying much attention to them. That's what the soil in your pot looks like. Probably the original soil it came in. You need to re-pot into good bonsai soil.

You didn't say how often you are watering, but I would guess too often for your moisture holding soil.

There's lots of good information here about bonsai care. This thread is general tips including how to water: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1479

This one is about bonsai soil and repotting viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3422

The non-forum part of this site has good bonsai articles here https://www.helpfulgardener.com/ if you scroll down the page a bit.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”