Exracr88
Newly Registered

Is my bonsai tree dying or just dehydrated?

Just recently came home from having our first son and noticed my.bonsai tree leaves were wilted and some were crunchy and falling off.Is my tree dying or just dehydrated? I took it out of its south facing window out of the direct sunlight light and watered it enough to moisten it but not drown it.what else if anything can I do?

Exracr88
Newly Registered

Here are some pictures of the tree.I scraped a tiny section to see under the bark and it's still green..
Attachments
20170323_123318.jpg
20170323_122750.jpg

saal
Newly Registered

Looks like your tree has been without proper wetting for a while now....your leaves are not looking to healthy...also try to move it away from your window as sunlight could intensify through the window and burn your leaves...

saal
Newly Registered

try and revive leaves by spraying water on them....you can spray mist often...this wont over-wet the tree

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure about moistening but not drowning. When you water bonsai, you should always water it thoroughly. Pour water on it until it is running freely out of the drain holes. Let it drain and then do it again: "For bonsai, it always rains twice." The key to not over watering is to have good free-draining bonsai soil with a lot of mineral content that does not hold on to water too long and not watering too often.

Here's a thread with tips about bonsai care and watering: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Your picture gets blurry if I enlarge it, but do some of the leaves have lots of little dots on them? It could be spider mites or some other small leaf sucking insect. If so that would cause the damage you are talking about.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with taking it away from the window. Outdoors they don't like direct sun, but indoors they need bright indirect light. If it isn't near a window, then you will need to give it supplemental lighting, a dedicated lamp right on it from just a few inches away.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”