jr
Newly Registered

Pruning a Banyan

Need advice for by Banyan. In the pot ten years in the broom style. It is now about 22 " in height. Its leaves have become sparse over the past year.

I would like to cut it back to 18" or so to regain its shape in the broom style and to increase foilage.

Am I safe in a uniform pruning which will remove most of its leaves?

jr

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

jr,

It would help if you posted some pics of the tree so our advice could be of more help. It sounds like the tree is not in good shape to me so until you post pics don't do any pruning. I don't believe it will be a good idea to leave a branch with no leaves on it as well but I'm not sure.

Tom

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Ficus will bud back, but agreed, without a better look at the tree, it's impossible to guess what would or wouldn't be prudent.

jr
Newly Registered

Is anyone conversant with photobucket? I have a digital camera picture of the Ficus. When I get to the Browse button of photobucket, a message comes up saying the image is incorrect. It says it requires jpeg (or one of three other acronyms). What am I missing? What is jpeg?

jr

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I always use photobucket with no problems. It sounds like your photo is not formatted correctly. I'm no expert but you could try moving the pic to different folders on your comp or something like that. You could even put it in word and just post a link to the file?

Tom

alisios

... and you can check to see if the ".jpg" at the end of the file name...

constantstaticx3 = "rockstar" - I like it!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

jr

This may help, two different options.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

You may be using a "raw" format, especially if you're using a Mac, like .TIFF. Bump down the image quality on your camera one notch, if so, and it should start storing images in .JPG format (which will also allow more images to be stored on the card).

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”