Yush

Dying Bonsai ficus

Please help! The leaves have all dropped and the tree looks very dry.
I'm sure I have watered sufficiently.
We moved to a new place and that is when the leaves started dropping at a fast rate.

How can I revive my tree? Please help!
Last edited by Yush on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

umm... please help with what? Need way more info than that to be of any help.

But welcome to the forum anyway....

Yush

Please help! The leaves have all dropped and the tree looks very dry.
I'm sure I have watered sufficiently.
We moved to a new place and that is when the leaves started dropping at a fast rate.

How can I revive my tree? Please help!

Yush

I have attached a pic of it
Attachments
This is how it looks now
This is how it looks now

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK... it always helps to tell us where you are located. There are hardly any garden questions that can be discussed without regard to location/ climate.

But in the meantime. You said the tree was moved. Ficus are famous for dropping all their leaves when they get moved, especially if the light is different from where they were before. Be sure it is in a place where it gets plenty of light, like a good south facing window.

The good news is that since they easily drop their leaves, they easily grow them back. Your ficus is not necessarily dying and may well come back. Remember that without leaves, it is much less active, so taking up a lot less water. Cut back on the watering and do not fertilize until it is putting out new leaves again. So plenty of light, only a little bit of water, no fertilizer, and a lot of patience and your tree may be beautiful again.

Yush

I have been trying to reply for a long time , its not working

Yush

Thank you so much!!
I live in nottingham, uk.
The tree was kept near a window and got loads of sunlight. And the side that was facing the window was the one that lost the leaves first. Any idea why? Could it be getting too cold in the night?

Since its winter , could the tree be affected due to the heater? Its not located anywhere near the heater though.

Thank you so much for your help!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Hi Tush,
Feel the base of the tree. Is it soft? If so, it might be root rot. Root rot will most likely kill the whole tree.

Good luck,
-Anna

Yush

No, it doesnt seem soft. Still no leaves..

Could it be because of too much sunlight?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

More likely to be too little light than too much, but how much light/ sun was it getting when it started dropping leaves? (How much it is getting now makes no difference, since it has no leaves to catch the light.)

You first posted almost a month ago. If your tree were happy, it should have been putting out new little leaves by now. Try scratching the trunk gently with a fingernail. If it is green and moist just under the bark, the tree is still alive. If it is brown/ gray and dry, the tree died.

Yush

Thank you for all the help!

The tree is probably dead then. It didnt get much light at the begonning though it was next to a window.

Its a light brown when scretched . Il tey to attach a picture below.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Even if you think it's dead, leave it for a bit, and then scratch some bark off and see if it's green or not. I think that there still are some chances that the tree will recover.

Yush

Thank you for all your help! Unfortunately the tree died. Just thhougt I should let you guys know.

I am really impressed by the timely and helpful reaponse! Thank you once again!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”