Jolllly
Newly Registered

Ficus dropped leaves: dead? revival?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but interested in plants. Recently my ficus has been doing poorly, after 4 months of being happy, and over the last 3 weeks, all of its leaves turned brown. Users on another forum told me it's probably dead. I'd be inclined to agree, but I checked the roots and they appear healthy (pale brown, springy, if a little sparse), and that 3 weeks ago, I moved it in a 3 hour car trip, and have read that environment changes can cause trees to drop leaves.

I've posted some pictures below. Do you think it's dead, or did it just respond negatively to moving and has a chance of revival? If so, how should I care for it, and at what point might it start looking better? If it is dead, I'd like to post details of how I cared for it to understand what I did wrong and how to care better in the future.

Notes: Watering once a week, soil damp, lost leaves locationally(one side to the other), kept in sunlight several hours a day, branches somewhat brittle, no signs of pests/mold, roots not rotten/black or dry, good drainage

I'm sure this is a very common question, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer from other people's posts so I thought I'd directly ask. Thank you for your patience with a newbie!
Tree today
Tree today
tree base- discolored?
tree base- discolored?
low quality shot of tree before moving back 3 weeks ago
low quality shot of tree before moving back 3 weeks ago

imafan26
Mod

Moving for sure caused it issues, but the leaves did not just drop they are shriveling up. If the tree is still alive it may come back. I would make sure that it gets watered properly. If you have drier air, a humidity tray may help.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”