vlc224
Newly Registered

New baby bonsai

I was just recently given a bonsai ficus ginseng. I have no idea how to take proper care of it! I was told it wasn't too difficult, but I want to do it right. I've read up a little about maintainence, but I'm still just not completely sure of when and how to prune and what it's really supposed to look like especially in this early stage among other confusing things. I've uploaded some pictures to get someone else's opinion on whether I need to prune. I did a little while I read about the topic, but I may not have even done that right! Please help! Thanks so much.

I know the photos aren't great quality and a little large. I hope you can still at least let me know if it looks right.

[img]https://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb241/VLC2006/pics120-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb241/VLC2006/pics118-1-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb241/VLC2006/pics119.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

vlc224,

Hello and welcome. I think you have been misinformed as to the identification of this tree, it does not look like a Ficus to me. Perhaps a variegated Serissa or Euonymus. It also looks like your tree has the typical glued on top dressing. If that is correct they must be removed in order to allow proper care. Don't worry about pruning for now, concentrate on a proper ID and basic care. If you use Google images and search for the two species I mentioned you may be better able to ID it as your photos make identification difficult.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Walmart? They're bringing in pallet upon pallet of these trees this year, with the glued on top dressing, and labelling mostly all of them as "Ginseng Ficus". In the one nearest me, this is the predominant species available.

Looked like Serissa to me as well, maybe. But once I read Euonymus I was immediately unsure as there are several small leaved varieties with trunks that are slow to change from their initial green as well. Is it showing any signs of flowering?

aussietaf
Newly Registered

Certainly doesn't look like any fig I've ever seen - and I've got 20 different types. I don't know of any figs that grow multiple leaves from the one spot. It looks much more like a Variegated Serissa to me. Would it be possible to take another photo but from further back so it is in focus and post it? One fairly easy way to find out if it's a Serissa is to expose one of the surface roots, cut it and then get close enough to smell it. If it's Serissa, it will absolutely stink! Thats where they get the botanical name: Serissa Foetida (Foetida - fetid). Oh and yes, as Gnome said - I'd also suggest getting rid of that glued on top 'dressing' otherwise you will end up with either a very dry rootball because the water isn't penetrating, or you will end up with a very smelly rotten mass because of the pot holding too much water and the whole rootball rotting away. Of course, trees do need water, but they also need air to circulate around the roots as well. In nature, worms and other insects carry out that function, but in a Bonsai pot, they rely on an open mix to allow the air to circulate. Glued on stones can seal the potting mix off making what's inside the pot virtually anaerobic. There are very few trees that can survive in those conditions, one I can think of being Swamp Cypress, another being Mangrove. Serissas can make excellent small or 'Mame' Bonsai.

alisios

kdodds wrote:Walmart? They're bringing in pallet upon pallet of these trees this year
Just image the amount of bonsai pots that will appear in garage sales soon! :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”