Kimosaabee
Newly Registered

One Crispy Juniper, Help please?

I am wondering if anyone can help me out with my Tree.. I believe i have a Juniper Bonsai, i've had it for a year and a half and ever since i got it it grew like crazy... then all the sudden it kinda stopped about november 07 time, and just started getting crispy, when i touch a leaf or branch it falls apart.. some areas don't do this, but most do, is it too late? is it a goner? By the way the climate its in is south texas. I moved it to a west window hopeing this will help, it was on a shelf not too near a window before, still getting moderate light... but maybe that was killing it... i water it every day or every other day, enough to keep the soil moist always... maybe i let it get to dry then it started to die and now i cant get it back? Any suggestions? I really need some help on this one, I am no gardener and don't know much about these bonsai's. I had one before this and it died... seems to me that they are extremely hard to keep alive. thank you all so much!!!!

moulman
Cool Member

juniper

It is probably dead. And the best guess is that it was kept inside.
Junipers are outdoor plants, and inside they need much more light than you can provide with a windowsill. They are evergreen, but they do require a dormancy. You actually have done well to keep it alive as long as you did!

Scratch the bark a little and see if it is green underneath. If so, it may be salvageable, if not then there is nothing that will help, as it is already dead. Usually by the time they turn brown and crisp, they are long dead.

alisios

Junipers would grow well in S. Texas - They need to be kept outdoors in full sun as Moulman said and they like to be a little on the dry side in a well draining soil.

If the weather in S Texas is pretty nice right now, get it outside ASAP and keep it out of wind- Trim off all the dead stuff (unless you want it) and give it a misting - I'd stay away from feeding for a bit too...

Other than that, it's "code red" for your plant

Kimosaabee
Newly Registered

well, it is nice weather, i tend to leave it outside during the day on the weekends and mist it every time... I cut some of the bark off the trunk like was suggested and it is light tan... no green... there are still green leaves on it... but like i mentioned, they are crispy, and very few of them would stay on if i brushed them... i will leave it outside to see if that helps... i didnt know junipers were better for outside, thats disappointing. What breed is best for indoors, and the easiest to take care of? but still look good... Thanks so much for your input thus far...

alisios

If it's brown under the bark on the trunk, I'm afraid it's "Code Dead" :(

Try again, this time leave it outside - it will love S Texas!

For indoor stuff, check out this site for info:

https://www.bonsaihunk.us/

I've bought a few of his books and find the info excellent - after all, he did write THE book on ficus!

Good luck!

If you're like me, I'd wait 'till the whole tree went brown before I throw it out :wink:

Kimosaabee
Newly Registered

yeah im afraid its dead too... thats too bad since it was doing so good for so long... so no juniper inside, no more junipers for me... i don't really have a place for one outside... Thanks for the info.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”