sean117Ply
Cool Member

ahhh my poor bonsai

Today and yesterday and for the rest of the week it is going to be HOT! Yesterday and today it has been 39c (102f) and for the rest of the week into next week it is going to be around 37c (100f)! My trees after going into their autumn color are starting to grow new growth! and the leaves they have are starting to burn from hot strong northerly winds.

This season by far been the worst for my bonsai after this dry hot summer, they have barely grown at all. I just hope that this winter will be cold and wet to give my deciduous trees a break.

alisios

Hey Sean117Ply

I hear you. We have tough summers here well into the conditions you are experiencing: super low humidity with temps 110 degrees- Right now the weather is good, but I expect to be monitoring my trees constantly in the coming months.

I am experimenting with new soil (ie more gritty and well draining) but I am nervous... I would try to shield the plants from too much dry wind and I am formulating a plan too add some temporary top dressing to help insulate the pots. Right now I will add layers of long fibered Sphagnum Moss on top of the soil to help keep moisture in. I'm even thinking of making little burlap "pillows" stuffed with Sphagnum Moss that are dipped in water first and then put on top of the soil - but we'll have to see - I now consider summer here a season in which to also protect the plants like I do for those cold winters at the other end of the scale.

Have you ever experimented with drought tolerant trees? Oz has some pretty cool trees like a Eucalyptus that could be a great candidate..

Good luck and let us know what you do.

sean117Ply
Cool Member

That sphagnum moss is a good idea, What I am now doing is adding those water cristals to my bonsai soil when I repot, So far I have added it to junipers which I repot anytime of year and I am happy to say they keep the soil moist. yes I have tried a few drought tolerent trees; a jade which has not been watered in months and a Eucalyptus that died not too sad about that because it wasn't the best tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”