JewBearE5
Newly Registered

HELP with sick Bonsai

Hello,
I recently got a 5-6 year old Chinese Sweet Plum Bonsai back in September of this year. For the first few months it was doing really well. I pruned it once every couple weeks and watered it every other day. I also feed it slow release bonsai fertilizer pellets. I keep it on the windowsill in my office. It usually gets about 1-2 hours of direct sunlight a day and the rest of the day it get indirect sunlight. The nursery that sold it to me said that the Sweet Plum does very well inside as long as it gets sunlight. They also told me that it was repotted in August, so right before I bought it. Starting in late November I noticed that all new growth had stopped, the leaves turned a dark green, shriveled up, and became very dry and brittle. At first I thought this was because of winter and thought that the tree was too cold sitting next to the window. So I moved it away from the windowsill, but it still got the same amount of light it always got. It has continued to get worse. I check the soil evey day to make sure it is still moist and only water it when the soil starts to dry. The tree is at the point where if I even barely touch a leaf or twig, it snaps or falls off. Is this normal or have I failed at my first attempt at a bonsai? Any help to bring this little guy back to life would be great! I have attached some pictures that will hopefully help. Also, I am located in Kansas City, MO. Our winter has been pretty mild so far. We had about a week of subfreezing temps a few weeks ago, but other than that it is averaging 40s-50s during the day and 30s at night.
Attachments
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”