EnerZemog
Newly Registered

Sick California Juniper

My Girlfriend bought me a wonderful California Juniper for Christmas and I wasn't used to such a big Tree and didn't water it enough. It showed signs of turning brown but I started watering it more and the tips of the brown parts are turning bright green again. I have been watering it with a mixture of fish emulsions, (you'll prolly smell it through this post) and it seems to be getting better. Tell me Swami, what else can a brotha do?

EnerZemog

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

EnerZemog,

Now that's a little different. Usually we see Junipers that have been over-watered due to a combination of poor, water retentive media and over enthusiastic owners. Junipers don't like to be constantly wet so a dry spell may not be fatal whereas rotted roots are a real problem. How would you describe the medium? coarse and gritty or fine and organic? The former is preferable but the latter is prevalent in mass produced bonsai.

Now that it seems to be on the mend just maintain a proper watering routine, notice I did not say schedule. You cannot water on a schedule, there are too many variables. In short, water copiously and then wait, a little water often is the wrong approach. Take a look at the general growing "Sticky Thread" at the top of the forum. Don't try to over-compensate for the previous drought, just try to keep it healthy and let it recover.

Norm

Correction: Sorry for the confusion, (see below.)
Last edited by Gnome on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

alisios

Gnome wrote:coarse and gritty or fine and organic? The former is prevalent in mass produced bonsai but the latter is preferable.
oop! reverse that! former is preferable, latter is prevalent!

no? ;)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

alisios,

Yes, of course you are correct. I'll reprimand my proof-reader. :oops: Thanks.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”