smurf

dwarf pomegranate

aren't the leaves on a dwarf pomegranate tree supposed to fall off on there own?

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I would say it depends on your climate. Why do you ask? Mine do.

Tom

smurf

I ask because I have had it for a few months and it has been doing great
but they have been turning yellow
and I read somewhere they are supposed to fall off
I live in california and it is inside and it has been getting hotter lately

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Well keeping it inside could be your problem. I've had mine outside all winter and it drops its leaves in the fall and has been dormant since. Do you have it under a grow light f some sort? Is it by a window? How often do you water it?

Tom

smurf

I think I should have kept it outside during winter
well it is in my room where it gets great light and it has been doing great
until not too long ago
do you think I should just let it be?

smurf

and I water it every few days
I check the soil and when its seems damp
then I wait a day then water or just give it a good watering

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Your watering habits seem good so over watering is not it. My guess is because it did not get a dormancy period, it is trying to have one now. If it were mine, I would just leave it and see what happens.

Tom

smurf

thankyou very much
I will tell you if anything happens

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

How many winters has your Pomegranate survived the weather in your area? I have one that I started from seed (from a fresh fruit) in the fall of 2006. It did not, of course, experience any cold weather that winter. This past year (2007) I allowed it to stay outside through early winter, and then later in the garage until I thought it had had enough. :wink: I then brought it inside under fluorescents where it leafed out nicely. It is now in the fairly cool basement.

I ask because I was under the impression that they are somewhat tender. Lesniewicz suggests a winter temperature in the range of "43-50, or even lower" which is a little vague. Do you keep it in the garage or is it heeled in outside? He also notes, Smurf, that if the plant is not afforded a rest period it will weaken and new shoots will be spindly.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

How many winters has your Pomegranate survived the weather in your area?
The thing is, it hasn't. I bought during the summer as a perennial at a garden center. The tag said it liked pots more than the ground. Since it is a perennial, I'm assuming it should be fine. I could easily be wrong because this is my first one and they could have labeled it wrong. :?

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

OK, I looked around a bit and here's what I found. Harry Harrington suggests keeping them above freezing, while Brent Walston is a little bolder.
Harry writes:

Though slightly frost hardy as trees in the ground, it is wise to bring indoors when temperatures drop below 3-5°C in the Autumn, preferably after leaf-fall. Indoors find a well lit, cool position.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Punicia.html[/url]
Brent writes:

Younger plants, potted plants, and the dwarf types will need more protection (keep above about 20F)

[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/punica.htm[/url]
Do you think you kept within Brent's guidelines? Even if temps fell briefly below 20F I would not panic. Make sure to let us know what happens.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Well I think I was within Brents guidelines as it rarely got below 20F. I went out and did a scratch test and its nice and green. I'll let you know what happens when spring hits.

Tom

smurf

this past winter has been its first with me and has been in my room the whole time
I think it is trying to go dormant because it is loosing a lot of leaves
there arnt really any cold rooms in my house during the summer to put it in by the way

smurf

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Smurf,
there arnt really any cold rooms in my house during the summer to put it in by the way
Sorry I wasn't more clear, the low temperatures are maintained during the winter. During summer it should go outside in the heat and sunshine.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”