Xatharis
Newly Registered

New to bonsai, Juniper from...home depot

[img]https://www.dropfiles.net//files/1344/2008-02-19-14037.jpg[/img]

Here's my Juniper...got that right yes?
Bought it from home depot a week ago, got rid of the glued on rocks and after four days inside, got it ouside per forum readings.
I've noticed the soil it's in doesn't seem to be too grainy,
seems like regular soil to my untrained eye. retains alot of water too.
I also am worried I over watered in the second day I got it. I put it in the sink with the water level up 3/4 of the way, but forgot about it and it was in there for like 30 40 mins :?

Can anyone offer some guidance to a newbie?

uhg, previewed the pic, sorry for the shaky shot...webcam :)

Gnome
Mod

Xatharis,

Welcome to the site.
Here's my Juniper...got that right yes?
Yes.
Bought it from home depot a week ago, got rid of the glued on rocks and after four days inside, got it ouside per forum readings.
Removing the rocks was the right move and although you are correct that Junipers should be kept outside I am not sure I would have put it outside just yet. My fear is that it is not acclimated to the cold temperatures and that the sudden move might cause trouble. From this spring on it will never be brought inside again, (some winter protection can be required though)
I've noticed the soil it's in doesn't seem to be too grainy,
seems like regular soil to my untrained eye. retains alot of water too.
I agree, unfortunately mass produces bonsai are seldom potted in decent soil. By the looks of this and the time of year I don't think you will need to water again anytime soon, especially if you keep it in a cool location as you have done. As long as the soil has some moisture in it you are good.
I also am worried I over watered in the second day I got it. I put it in the sink with the water level up 3/4 of the way, but forgot about it and it was in there for like 30 40 mins
Don't worry about it. you do not over-water a plant on one occasion, that is an ongoing process. Make sure not to water again until it really needs it, not because you think it must be time. Check frequently and only water as necessary.
Can anyone offer some guidance to a newbie?
As I noted above being in a very cold location now, coming from a fairly warm greenhouse, is problematic. Do you have any options other than bringing it inside? Plan on re-potting it in late spring or early summer. Read the sticky threads at the top of the forum and begin researching proper bonsai mediums. We'll be here to help as you discover more questions.

Norm

Xatharis
Newly Registered

update

Well, it's been about two weeks now.

I've broken up the damp gritty soil that had packed down with my previous flooding of the pot. I was a little worried about hurting the tree's roots and hope I wasn't to harmful in my prodding. I've also kep an eye on the soils moisture with a chopstick and I mist the tree one or two times a day. I still haven't watered since the initial soak.
I've kept the tree outside, in a space that's has a little cover and gets minimal direct light. Gnome had brought up the harsh temperature change from in to out at such a season, but I'm going to keep it outside 'cause the weathers been fairly mild lately.
I'll keep you guys posted on progress.

Gnome
Mod

Xatharis,

Please do post any updates. Do your research now for appropriate soil, don't miss your opportunity this spring as I really don't like the medium this tree is in now.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”