jooliahh
Newly Registered

Gingko Bonsai needs HELP

Hi Everyone. When I was a little girl I helped my grandfather grow and train bonsai trees. For my wedding 2 years ago, my grandmother gave us a Gingko Bonsai tree because it reminded her of this time in my life and of her late husband. I am so sad because a couple of days ago the Gingko started loosing its leaves. They have dropped and are slowly releasing their grip. I am afraid it will die. Last month we moved out to Colorado from Pennsylvania. I traveled in my car with my plants secured int he back. The Gingko was going just fine until recently. I am not sure if it is the change in climate... maybe too much sun? maybe too much water?? maybe not enough?? I just can't tell. I have ordered a liquid fertilizer and it should come tomorrow "Eve's Bonsai Master Fertilizer, Exclusive Formula, Safe and Highly Effective Food for Bonsai Trees" instead of the slow release pellets that I have used in the past. It was last fertilized in late may. I would appreciate any suggestions about how to save this very meaningful tree of mine... Thanks so much.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Well, lets start with the most basic of questions.

How often do you water? How do you determine when it is time to water?

Ginko is a tree of the Indian sub-continent so too much sun is not a likely problem. Watering and the retention of water could be.

It would probably serve to note on your signature line where your ginko tree resides.

Jefferseed
Newly Registered

Hello,

Very sorry to hear of you woes. Maybe I can help. I am a plant pathologist of 40 years with a love of bonsai, especially ginkgo bonsai. You need an accurate diagnosis before you launch into a treatment for your tree. {Photos will help in disgnosis.}

Best regards,

Jeff

Jefferseed
Newly Registered

p.s.--DO NOT fertilize you sick ginkgo?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”