babycakes
Newly Registered

New to forum & Bonsai - Advise needed!!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and to having a bonsai tree. The info on the side of the container it came in wasn't hugely helpful and I don't want to kill it so am looking for the answers to some questions :roll:

Do I water it daily?
Do I water just the soil or the leaves too? (I have been using a spray bottle and wetting the soil and the leaves)

Where should it live? At the moment it's on the kitchen windowsill. it's not in direct sunlight as I have a conservatory on the back of my kitchen. Although my kitchen isn’t very bright.

How often do I need to feed it? And where do I get bonsai tree food from?!

it's an 8 yr old indoor bonsai tree from Homebase, if that's any help to anyone!!

Thanks everyone & have a great day :D

arboricola

babycakes;

If you will post the species of the tree or a photo that would help.

A light misting daily is fine, but do not water on a daily basis. Check the top of the soil and make sure it's not hard or has glued on rocks. Best to remove these. Stick your finger in the soil about 1 inch. If it feels dry go ahead and water. Water the whole surface of the soil until a few drops drain out the bottom. Wait 15 minutes, then water again until water drains out the bottom. Check for dampness daily. Water only when dry.

Leave the tree whaere it is until we know what species it is.

You can feed your tree any gereral purpose house plant food. Read the label and mix to half the dose. Fertilize every 2 weeks when the tree is growing (putting on new leaves). Water first with plain water, wait 15 min. then water with fertilizer solution. When the tree is not growing or resting then fertilize once a month..

Phil...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

babycakes,

Hello, welcome to to site and to bonsai. First things first.
it's an 8 yr old indoor bonsai tree from Homebase, if that's any help to anyone!!
No, that is not really any help. We need to know what species it is. If you do not know or cannot find out please post a picture if you are able, otherwise please describe it as best you are able. There really is no such thing as an indoor bonsai, all trees evolved outside. :wink: There are however some species that can adapt fairly well to indoor culture, there are also some that do very poorly indeed. Unless you are simply unable to do so I would plan on getting this tree outside when the weather allows. Depending upon the species and your preference it may then remain outside forever.
The info on the side of the container it came in wasn't hugely helpful
That is not unusual. Often these tags are incomplete or inaccurate. They also tend to over-simplify the care the tree requires, this in an attempt to sell more trees. For instance often people are advised that they can keep temperate trees inside or to water on a schedule, neither is a good idea.
Do I water it daily?
No, never water according to a schedule except the one the tree dictates. Please read the sticky thread on general care located at the top of the forum for tips on watering. We'll be glad to clarify if you have any questions.
Do I water just the soil or the leaves too? (I have been using a spray bottle and wetting the soil and the leaves)
You can mist if you wish. Some feel that it is not terribly helpful, others feel differently. A humidity tray is more effective if it is large enough. This is a shallow tray with no holes that holds some gravel and some water. It is used to raise the humidity in the general vicinity of your tree. Make sure the tree cannot wick any water back up into the pot though. Regardless, the spray bottle is ineffective in thoroughly wetting the soil, which is what is required every time you water. Again, please read that sticky.
How often do I need to feed it? And where do I get bonsai tree food from?!
No need to acquire bonsai specific products. If you grow other houseplants what you have on hand is probably OK. But here's the thing, you can probably hold off for a while. You have not mentioned how long you have owned it and you do not know when it was last fertilized. I tend to fertilize less during winter than summer as my "indoor" trees slow considerably due to the marginal lighting I am able to provide.
Where should it live? At the moment it's on the kitchen windowsill. it's not in direct sunlight as I have a conservatory on the back of my kitchen. Although my kitchen isn’t very bright.
I'm not sure I entirely understand. If you have a conservatory would not that be a better location for your tree? Provide as much light as you can. Beware of temperature swings if the tree is placed too close to a window though.

Norm

Edit: Phil, 11:06 to 11:43. Did it really take me over 30 minutes to compose this? :shock: Thanks for the input.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”