lielle
Newly Registered

New to Bonsai, Tips on Care for my Sago Palm

I purchased a Sago Palm bonsai some months ago. During the summer we kept it outside and it was doing fine, once winter was upon us we brought the plant indoors and have recently noticed that the leaves are turning yellow. We water only when the soil is dry also there are some white stones glued to the top of the soil for decoration.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

moulman
Cool Member

This is a problem that seems to be coming up a lot lately.

Get those stones off the surface asap. They should pry off in large pieces, but be careful not to damage the plant.
Check the soil underneath, it is probably very wet. There is no way to gauge the moisture in the soil when those rocks are on there.

Once you can see the soil, it will be easier to judge when to water. You have probably been overwatering.

lielle
Newly Registered

Actually when I pried out the stones the soil was bone dry I had to soak the whole pot in water and then let it drain.

moulman wrote:This is a problem that seems to be coming up a lot lately.

Get those stones off the surface asap. They should pry off in large pieces, but be careful not to damage the plant.
Check the soil underneath, it is probably very wet. There is no way to gauge the moisture in the soil when those rocks are on there.

Once you can see the soil, it will be easier to judge when to water. You have probably been overwatering.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

lielle,

Well at least now you know what is going on under the rocks. They were never there for any cultural reason anyway, they are used primarily as a shipping aid. Now that they are gone you can properly judge when to water.

Take care not to water too frequently as this can lead to rotting of the Caudex. Depending on various factors such as the type of soil used (most likely dense and peaty) and the amount of light it receives (probably less than it was accustomed to outside) watering may be required once a week or even less during winter. Allow the soil to become nearly dry, and not just the surface either, before watering thoroughly. The soaking should not be a problem this once but should not be part of your routine.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”