Mafer89
Newly Registered

Possible need of repoting. (Please Help!)

20160722_115927.jpg
Hello guys,

I live in Austin, TX and I am new to this world of bonsai's. I year ago I bought a bonsai tree at Ikea, I had a littlr trouble first, the tree seem to be dying, I was showing sign of being allergic to it, then I put it outside until I was able to find someone else to take it but it started growing beautifully and seem more healthy. I am watering it every week and 1/2 and Eva (the tree) is doing good except now it seems to be growing out of its pot. I went to a gardening place in Austin they gave me the soil and told me no fertilizers for 90 days but other than that I was not giving much information. I am afraid of killing Eva by repoting it and not doing it correctly so please can anyone help me? We are in plain summer but she is foing good outside. She is not in direct sunlight, I have her in a corner of the balcony. She receives sunlight from the morning . I will be attaching a picture of the treenand the soil and pot a bought please can someone guide me on what to do? Should I wait until Spring? At what time of the day is it best to repot? Thank you!!

Ps: I have no idea what kind of Bonsai I have, that's why I will attach a picture, hopefully someone will recognize it.
Attachments
20160806_193725.jpg
20160806_193720.jpg
20160806_193707.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Please look in at the bonsai learning forum. You really will need to adopt a chop-stick to test for watering needs. I would never repot in August. Defer that till late in Fall or early in spring. Your tree is supposed to be growing out of its pot right now.

Your tree is tender (its a ginseng rooted ficus) so some winter shelter may be in order. If I grew figs here in SE-OH Mine would have to come indoors around Columbus day.

When you do repot you will want to use some 1/4 inch hardware cloth to cover the larger holes in your new pot. In a pinch you could use larger gravels to slow the escape of soil. You will note your new pot also has some extra smaller holes. Some folks wire their trees to their pots.

Welcome to crazy ;)

Mafer89
Newly Registered

Yes! It is growing out of its pot, that's why I was concerned about it dying because it is growing a lot! Thanks for the info!!

imafan26
Mod

Ficus does that. It usually means it is happy. Cut off any roots that try to escape and don't let it go to ground. But as Mafer said, it is not a frost tolerant tree. When you take it inside it is likely to lose its leaves. It will grow back. Repotting in the Spring is best. Nothing should be repotted in August unless you have no choice.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”