citizen_jay
Newly Registered

Some advice on mold and tips on pruning to help me along?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have been reading very helpful tips from here about growing bonsai. I bought 2 pre-bonsai, a Fukien Tea and a Jade, about a month ago and they seem to be doing well.

The Fukien Tea pre-bonsai came with a tonne of mealy bugs but I managed to get rid of it and the new leaves are looking great.

The Jade Tree pre-bonsai obviously needs pruning and, here some tips on how one should start pruning/wiring would be great.

However, both pots have developed a thin layer of yellowish mould. I suspect it's a matter of not letting the soil dry out more between each watering session? But I do wait til the soil is rather dry. The soil drains well. Also, I've read that Fukien Tea trees tend to like slightly moist soil so I try not to let it dry out too much. From what I've gathered through reading, it seems that the yellowish mould might not be harmful, so should it be left alone?

I have not re-potted them since getting them. They sit by the west-facing window so they get a lot of afternoon sun. I've attached pictures with this post and any advice or tips on better care would be appreciated.

Thanks!
c_j
Bonsai1.jpg
Fukientea1.jpg
Fukienteasoil.jpg
Fukienteasoil2.jpg
Jadetree.jpg
Jadetreesoil.jpg
Jadetreesoil2.jpg

garmy yo
Cool Member

Hi Jay,
Almost all my pots have that powdery stuff that builds up over time. I always assumed it was something in the soil that would be left behind when the water drains away. I just rub it off with my fingers or a chop stick.
As far as pruning, I let my plants grow as much a possible, then prune back what doesn't look like it belongs. Your plants are so young, they need very little pruning at this stage. Also look at them a lot and consider the direction you would like to take. Before you cut something off, it's helpful to cover it with your hand or a cloth to see how it will look once removed. If you are still not sure, just wait. Your plants will never be worse for doing nothing.
After looking at your pictures a little more, I would recommend repotting with bonsai soil soon. The sooner the better.

citizen_jay
Newly Registered

Hi Garmy Yo,

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to pick up some bonsai soil this weekend to repot them.

The plants are very young but I've also read that you should dhape it before it gets too unruly or just to direct its growth, though I really have no idea where to begin yet so the suggestion of letting them grow even more is reassuring.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”