Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jo,

Glad to hear that things are looking up.
I haven't pruned my tree at all (yet) as I wanted to let it grow and didn't want to distress it after its 'drought'
Good move, there will be plent of time for pruning/styling later.
After doing some research I found that 'giant' leaves can be due to lack of light. However my tree is in a west facing window and has a good 8 hours a day.
The light behind a window, especially behind the louvers is not as intense as you might think. Some supplemetnal lighting would not hurt and please think about the possibility of getting it outside this spring.

Norm

Jo

Hi Norm

Thanks for your reply, I will reassess its location and will get it outdoors in the spring / summer when the weather gets better.

Thanks again
Jo

Jo

Hello Again

I was going to repot my tree (Chinese Elm) this spring, although it is April I was waiting until the weather here (UK) got warmer as it is still quite cold (frost at night) I also read that you should wait until you see new buds/shoots. There is not a lot of new growth but a few new leaves. I don;t want to harm my tree by repotting too late, but I also don't want to harm it by waiting until autumn to repot as it is quite root bound - roots are appearing on top of the soil and the pot is too small for it. It seems to be doing really well and looks healthy at the moment
Any advice would be appreciated as always
Jo

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jo,
I also read that you should wait until you see new buds/shoots.
Unless I am mistaken I think that this refers to plants that have been dormant. Since yours has been kept evergreen that point is not relevant to you. Have you acquired a decent bonsai soil or the components to make one? You also mentioned that you feel it needs a larger pot, do you have one on hand?

I have no experience re-potting a Chinese Elm that has been kept as yours has since I allow mine to go dormant. I would really prefer to do this work on a dormant tree. I suppose if you really feel it would be beneficial now is as good a time as any. Cold weather must surely be almost behind you by now and you can always shelter it overnight if you must.

How confident are you about doing the work? It will be necessary to remove all (within reason) of the old soil from the roots. You do not want to have a situation where a core of dense, compacted soil is at the base of your tree. This will require some effort but the next re-potting will be much easier.

Norm

Jo

Hi Norm

Thanks for your reply, I haven't acquired the pot, soil etc but I have read up on the tools that are needed and know of a bonsai centre nearby which has them. I don't feel overly confident about repotting, but have read the sticky on the forum which provides good information so I think I know what to do. As long as it doesn't put my tree under too much stress at this time of year I am happy to repot
Thanks again
Jo

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”