cballenar
Newly Registered

Ficus: to bonsai or not to bonsai?

Hi!

TL;DR: I found a ficus tree under a water tank, removed it, and placed it in a tray with soil, I'd like to turn it into a bonsai tree. Please advice. Pictures attached.

Detailed post:

I recently stumbled upon a bonsai plant under a water tank. It grew with no actual soil, just water that drips from the tank but seems to be very healthy. Green leaves, about a third of an inch trunk, and long roots. I estimate it has a few months, maybe even up to a year due to the width of the trunk? (though I am quite the rook, so I could be totally wrong about this).

Anyway, I decided to remove it from under the tank. The root seemed to come off in one piece for the most part, or otherwise with little loss. And I am debating how to proceed now that I have removed it from there. (I know, I should've come here before removing it).
I had already put some soil on it so it's covered in dirt. but originally it had barely any dirt on it.
I had already put some soil on it so it's covered in dirt. but originally it had barely any dirt on it.
I love the idea of making a bonsai tree. I know it's a lot of work and I'm be willing to commit to it. However I am not sure how to proceed. I have included some pictures for you to take a look at it and hopefully make some suggestions.

At the moment, I have placed it in a tray with a combination of sand and dirt, keeping the soil humid. I have placed it in a area protected by the wind, with direct sunlight, which resembles the area where it grew.
Not the prettiest solution but it was the only tray I had available.
Not the prettiest solution but it was the only tray I had available.
I'd very much appreciate your advice. Thank you.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A shallow tray, or collander will work for now.

Figs are not frost hearty, so you can expect to need to bring your tree into a green house or other very brightly lit sheltered space in your winter. If frost is an issue for you.

Read up on how to water your tree in the learning forum here.

When the seasons run around to your next spring, I expect you will want to change to a very fast draining soil. At which time you should probably reduce the length of the roots by 1/3.

Welcome to HG.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”