Jblack
Newly Registered

Is this Father's Day bonsai healthy?

Hello,

I purchased a Juiper Bonsai from a Monastery in Georgia as a Father's Day gift today. Before I gift it I wanted to make sure that the Bonsai is healthy. My concern is from the outside and top the leaves are nice and green but there are some brown foliage near the branches. Is this normal? Or is it a sign that the Bonsai is troubled? The lady there said it should be fine and shook it a little and most of it fell off.

Also, she recommended pruning and opening it up. What does that mean?

Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to Helpful Gardener. I used to buy pots from Bonsai by the monestary back when they still sold them. It is likely your juniper got more than the minimal amount of time most juniper cuttings get. So kudo's to your shopping choice.

OK I don't grow juniper, and here is why. Their root system is just about always inadequate to the demands of central heat & air. Making mummy's out of a tree that does not show its stress well. Too often it is dead before any brown shows. And unscrupulous vendors will sell juni on life-support as indoor trees.

I think you bought from a better vendor so much of my admonishment may be unwarented.

It is going to fall to the new grower to read up on the care forum here and on other sites how to care for their new tree. And if you have care instructions for that new grower; it is that they must handle their tree every day. They must learn how check with a chop-stick their trees need for water. And that no juniper ever lives indoors. They can visit for birthdays or Christmas. but thats it.

if your tree does not feel your breath on it every day, its care will be inadequate to its need.

Jblack
Newly Registered

Thank you. I will make sure to pass the message along to its new owner

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”