kb22
Newly Registered

Dry heat hurting my juniper??

image.png
I got this juniper for my birthday in mid april.. I read about care and moved it from inside to outside depending on the weather (it was pretty cold and raining throughout the last few weeks of April). But I always made sure it was in the sun and not over watered...
The last 3 weeks I had it outside the whole time, sun in the morning, and shade after 10 am, then more sun after 5pm. I know it's a full sun plant but I live in Northern California (Roseville) and we have really really dry heat so I was worried. Last week it was in the high 90s. And this week should be the same.... I've been more adamant about keeping the humidity tray full, and have been misting it more often, but it still looks like it's struggling.

I read in some of the other posts to use the chopstick method, so I've been doing that, I checked the roots and they have that organic mold stuff goin on? So I think that's ok..

However, I feel like it's still retaining too much water in the soil, and the lack of humidity might be doing a number on it.. (Because it looks like it went from a bright green to a dull dried out looking green?)

Suggestions? Should I move it to a full sun area despite the harsh sun and dry heat?
Is my tree probably dead already?

This is my first time owning a bonsai and I appreciate this forum a lot, you all have great knowledge, so thank you already!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A. Sears

Juniper will not do well inside regardless of time of year. Don't let soil dry out in hot weather. A very hardy and long lived tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”